Author Topic: Syntek diesel additive?  (Read 4569 times)

Steve Adams

Syntek diesel additive?
« on: July 16, 2011, 04:33:13 AM »
Just curious if anyone heard of a diesel additive called "Syntek"?  Guy was giving me a hard sell at the rally yesterday, and I walked away. He claims an improvement of 10-30% on mileage.  A 16 oz bottle treats 1250 gallons and costs either $160 or $190 per bottle.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 05:26:33 AM by 14 »

Butch Martin

Re: Syntek diesel additive?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 07:11:26 AM »
If you believe him, then I will show you how to make diesel out of water..........
OK
Both are too good to be true, but you be the judge

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 07:23:47 AM »
Steve.
If this was eighteen fifty the same guy would have been selling snake oil. The probability of his additive doing what he says it will. Is zero.

Gerald

Keith Oliver

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 03:32:59 PM »
It's all in the BTUs.  If you have an efficiently running engine, you will squeeze all of the available BTUs out of your diesel#2.  If you add anything to that fuel (other than BTU producing fuel from another source, say BIO)  you are not adding any BTUs, so are not contributing to mileage.  When you add something like BIO, you will alter the average mileage, according to whether the added BIO produces more or less BTUs per gallon than the fuel it displaces. So far, no additives have been made (BIO included) that will improve BTUs per gallon over plain ordinary (clean) Diesel #2.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 03:38:57 PM »
Steve,
I am not familiar with his product, I have tried 2 or 3 additive that normally will advertise improved mileage as one of the benefits. I have never seen any improvement in mileage using these products with  our C13.

I have seen some soot reduction so they may have some benefits for the fuel system, but with the C13 mileage has not been one of them.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:20:40 PM by 14 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13