Author Topic: TAG AXLE LIFT  (Read 2455 times)

Ken McIntee

TAG AXLE LIFT
« on: March 18, 2021, 10:23:50 PM »
I have a 2007 Beaver Marquis Moonstone. When I lift my tag axle the driver's side lifts 6" off the groundand the passenger's side stays on the ground. Is this normal or should both sides lift equally??? Thanks Ken

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: TAG AXLE LIFT
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 11:19:05 PM »
My guess is they should lift to equal heights off the ground.  That being said, I am not sure if there are two airbags, air shocks, or whatever, that control the push-down force on the tag axles.  I know years ago I relaxed the push-down force to lighten up the weight on the steering axle on our RV.  So... if the air pressure works to push down on the tag axle, then what mechanism lifts and holds up the tag axle when it's supposed to be in the lifted position, such as, when backing up or driving slowly forward or when the tag axle lift switch is activated?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Ken McIntee

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 02:42:54 PM »
David, thanks for your reply...I believe my coach has 2 airbags to apply down pressure and it looks like 2 air chambers that apply pressure to a fulcrum to raise the axle...  When I press the tag axle lift I hear the airbags dump the air pressure and only the driver's side lifts... Some people say that some lift and some don't??? I was hoping that someone with my model coach could let me know how theirs lifted??? Thanks again, Ken

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 06:54:42 PM »
Ken,

We have a 2006 Patriot Thunder (S-Series chassis) which I suspect has the same tag lift system as your 2007 Marquis.

You are right, there are two air chambers that apply pressure to the fulcrum to raise the axle. The other end of the fulcrum is attached to the axle by cable or chain, ours is cable.

Both sides of yours tag axle should lift the same, ours barely take the weight off the tires, but they are even.

This is from my owner’s manual:
NOTE: With the tag axle in the up position, there is not a specific height requirement other than the tire should be off the ground.
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 06:56:48 PM »
Ken
Both should loft at the same time. It would appear you have a cable which is not working or possibly something is seized and the air bag can't lift it .
I'd follow the air line from the bag that's not lifting back to the solenoid valve at look at that as the possible problem.
Not sure but it may be tied into an air leveling valve ( six pack).
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 11:00:04 PM »
Thanks for reminding me this is on my list soon too.
Ours is likely the same unit and works very slowly.  Could be a function of not enough use.  After several minutes both sides will be around 3 inches off the ground. 
Looks some different if the road is slanted .
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!