Author Topic: Carefree One-Touch entry door awning  (Read 2954 times)

Albert Balika

• BAC Member
Carefree One-Touch entry door awning
« on: March 19, 2021, 12:14:58 PM »
I have the unit with a power control module and power control switch with an on/off key and a toggle switch for "extend" and "retract". I have always had to giggle the key a bit to activate movement on the awning. Finally, the key quit working altogether with the awning in the extend position. I jumped between the two posts on the back of the key mechanism and was able to bring the awning in. I then by-passed the key by connecting the two wires that go to the back of the key switch. I can hear and feel the power control module activate when I press the extend/retract switch but the awning will not extend. I checked power through the system and I have power at the awning. I do not have an owners manual for this awning and Carefree of Colorado is less than helpful. My questions - is there a limit switch or reset button, etc inside the awning housing that tripped when I brought the awning in by direct current, when I by-passed the key switch? How do I lift the outer metal cover of the awning to access wiring, etc.? Can I open the awning manually to access the motor? I am reluctant to call in a technician as it seems to be hit and miss with a lot of the guys doing service work these days. Any help would be appreciated.
07 Contessa 42'
C9

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Carefree One-Touch entry door awning
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 02:14:54 PM »
   Albert, Does the switch look like this? By jumping the wire across and by-passing the key switch you only eliminated the safety part of the system. The motor on this style of door awning was notorious for collecting water inside the motor because of the way it is mounted. I am not sure if the motor is still available. If it was my coach, I would consider replacing the awning or just leave it closed as its benefits are limited. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Albert Balika

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 03:46:13 PM »
Fred, I understand its function is limited, but I would like to identify the problem and fix it. The motor has always been strong, including when I jumped the key switch terminals. Without restating my questions, is there something electronic within the awning that needs to be looked at? If I could manually open the awning or the outer cover for access, I would certainly test the motor along with anything else. Any thoughts?
07 Contessa 42'
C9

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 05:33:45 PM »
Albert,
There is an Owners Manual for a Carefree Freedom Over The Door awning in Coach Assist.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 08:03:14 PM »
Ours quit extending after my stepson power washed the coach, which supports Fred’s statement.  I tried testing and disassembling it but ran into the issue that the unit must be removed from the motorhome to do so.  I believe the cylindrical (aka tubular) motor has to be replaced, but even if I finagled the rear end cap off to do so, the main awning’s arm prevents sliding the motor out that way.  The motor won’t slide out the front cap end.

The dilemma is that because the unit froze up while in the closed position, I can’t get at the mounting screws to take it off the rig.  Removing the main awning or part of it is likely necessary, but after hours and days in 2019 spent testing the circuitry behind the overdoor panel and trying to mechanically get at the motor, I’m now gong to let a more experienced tech in Bend tackle this one.

The fact that you can hear the motor run implies a drive gear has become loose or stripped, but to get at that you likely will have the same problem I do.  I don’t think the problem is electronic, but rather drive engagement.  Don’t quote me, but I’m thinking that like many Carefree units the motor and drive are only sold as one unit.  There were parts diagrams on Carefree’s website as I recall, but they made many different models and versions of models.  You have to find the right one.  If I get a chance I’ll see if I have a manual or service instructions that are different from what’s at Coach Assist, but your awning model may be different.

Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Albert Balika

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 11:22:27 PM »
Thank you all. Steve, I downloaded the manual and that is helpful. I was able to remove the motor assembly without taking the awning off the coach. I hooked the motor up to a 12 volt battery and it runs forward and reverse and it doesn't appear to have any gear problem. I plan to put it back together tomorrow and see what happens. This awning was worked on in the past and little things like the three spacers for the end plate were missing and the end cap at the motor end was missing.
07 Contessa 42'
C9

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 12:35:30 AM »
  Albert, If you are confident the motor is good and no water or rust is present inside, When I changed the motor on a coach I sealed the 2 holes in the end cap that faces up to keep the water out and never had an issue. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bob Disney

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 08:32:36 PM »
I have a 2005 Monterey Ventura IV
I had the same issue, I took the motor out set it to a 12 V system and it appeared to work correctly.
Turned out to be a intermittent short inside the motor for contacts
It also has Carefree of Colorado awning
You can buy just the motor with a Google search
All you have to have to do is enter these numbers
If you have your motor out you can find out if these are the correct numbers on it
They are power window motors.
They are about $30. Online
If your hardware and electrics are is in good working order this is a way cheaper fix
I dont know if this is what is needed but  pertinent information to have
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 08:39:35 PM by Bob Disney »
2005 Monterey Ventura IV
(the Beave)
just fits in the 40' shed
400hp C9 Cat
Towing various old Jeeps

Albert Balika

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 12:14:08 AM »
Gentlemen, Thank you all for your imput. I was able to get the motor assembly out without disturbing the patio awning, which I extended for more clearance. I also brought the kitchen slide in. Everything checked out with the motor. My key switch was bad, so I installed an on/off toggle. The manual that Fred suggested was very helpful with the removal and re-installing of the motor assembly. I brought the awning in manually about half way by securing the arms as the manual suggests, re-installed the motor assembly and end plate, silicone caulked any orifice. I then spent a bit of time adjusting the "motor limit switches" for extend and retract functions. I believe these adjustments were the root of my problem to start with. Oh well, I now know how to deal with any issues associated with these awnings. I am happy to say all is working - just the way I like it! Thanks again, for all the help.
07 Contessa 42'
C9
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone, Fred Brooks