Author Topic: Windshield Gasket pulling away from body  (Read 2135 times)

Mike Shumack

Windshield Gasket pulling away from body
« on: March 27, 2021, 02:39:07 PM »
I just noticed the Windshield Gasket is pulling away from the body on my '05 Patriot. This is in two places (top right and bottom left).

The glass was replaced in 2019 (with a new gasket). I have not driven the Coach in 2020. This separation occurred while parked.

Could this gasket separation be due to gasket shrinking from cold weather? I'm in FL so not that cold, but temps have dropped into 30s a few nights. Maybe the Coach frame has twisted some from changes in "leveling" although everything looks level now.

Should I fill the gap with Urethane?  If I fill the gap, should I be concerned that - if the gasket ever expands/returns back to original shape it wont be able to close that gap (which would then be filled with urethane) and possibly make things worse?

What is going on and what is the fix?
Thanks

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Windshield Gasket pulling away from body
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 03:21:54 PM »
Mike,
IMHO (and I'm no expert on windshields) it sure looks like what you surmised, either a body twist or a temperature driven warpage. If you leveled the coach after install,  this could be the cause. Sitting in the sun in FL could drive the interior temps up. If there was a sudden cool-down in the evening, warpage could occur. That said, an improper install could also be the cause. Consider contacting the installer. I don't think adding urethane would be a problem as it stays flexible but  it would be better to find the cause as this will probably get worse when the coach is driven and repeatedly leveled/unleveled, etc.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 08:27:11 PM »
Thanks for your advise on this.
This windshield was installed over a year ago, so I don't think it is installers fault. Even if it was an installation issue, I would expect the warranty to have ended by this time. It has stayed tight for all this time.
I guess I'll need to have a professional look at it. I just hate to pay someone if there is something I can do myself.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 08:40:00 PM »
Mike,
If you had RV Glass Solutions arrange the install, contact them.  They will take care of it.  I found out on one of my windshield replacements that they used the wrong gasket.  I cut a piece of my original gasket off and always compare the replacement with it.  Usually they have to go back and get the correct gasket.  I have never had the problem of pulling away from the coach, but with the windshield popping out.  Having watched the techs, I know they have a tool with a bent, pointed end which they insert when they place the gasket in place on the coach.  I would try that and see if it works.  I would put the coach at ride height with the slides in before I did anything else as that is how all the installers made me put my coach when they installed a gasket and windshield.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13