Author Topic: C-9 Starter motor  (Read 2309 times)

Albert Balika

• BAC Member
C-9 Starter motor
« on: April 01, 2021, 12:07:29 PM »
My starter motor on my C-9 Cat! 2007 Contessa has started acting a bit different the last few starts. There is a bit of hesitation and a little "clunking" sound at initial start up. How difficult is it to replace and what concerns should I have in doing so?
07 Contessa 42'
C9

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: C-9 Starter motor
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 12:32:27 PM »
Albert
The starter itself is not all that had to change.
But a little advice when you disconnect the wires at the starter there will be multiple sets connected to each of the positive and negitve connections of the starter take a wire tie and make sure they stay with the proper set to keep from mixing up the positives and negitives you don't want to mix them up.
Oh and of course disconnect the batteries first.
Remember these starters are heavy be careful.
Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

George Harwell

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 01:11:03 PM »
Albert, before you start removing the starter make sure you are getting the proper voltage from the battery. Low voltage can cause what you are experiencing. Also when I removed mine it dropped out easily but I used a floor jack for reinstall, made it much  easier. Being a believer in preventive maintenance I pulled mine off at 100,000 miles and overhauled for around $150. Good luck.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 03:48:39 PM »
If you don’t have the hesitation or clunking as you describe while using booster switch do not replace your starter. Replace your batteries.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Albert Balika

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 05:07:34 PM »
Gentlemen, You are all very helpful. When we stopped for the night, last night, I started the generator and I think I turned on the air conditioner before letting the transfer switch engage. We ran the generator, TV and air conditioner for several hours. We got up this morning and the batteries were very low and neither the generator nor the aqua hot would start. The engine, however, turned over as normal, started up immediately. I then started the generator, which started emmediately, heard the transfer switch activate and saw the batteries charging to full. I am hopeful this was the problem. I shall see. I am going to have my batteries load tested and I am taking the advice to have the starter rebuilt. Thank you all, it is much appreciated.
07 Contessa 42'
C9

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 05:49:33 PM »
Albert,
IMHO, starters should by good for well over 100K miles. As Jim noted, the biggest threat to a starter is trying to operate it with low battery voltage over long periods of time. So if you haven't  run it on low voltage multiple times and it operates and sounds normal with full charged batteries, a rebuild is not necessary. Save your $ for batteries. :)
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 10:43:43 PM »
I must agree with others that your symptoms are most commonly associated with battery issues more than the starter.  As Steve notes, you may best spend starter rebuild cash on the batteries instead.  Check that the battery post connectors are clean of resistance-causing corrosion, especially in your case the two chassis batteries.  Your having them load tested may provide insight.  Also check the starter terminals for looseness or corrosion, and the chassis ground bolt.

But running the genset in the evening should’ve handled your devices plus still charged the house set.  If they were that weak by morning, either corrosion is interfering with them also or they are at the end of their life and just can’t handle even simple overnight discharges.   Or something in the coach is drawing more than it should overnight.  Are there markings on the batteries or missing date “chad’s” on a top label that can reveal their age, and which may make simple age deterioration more obvious? 

I’ve gotten 12 years out of my original batteries, much as Dad taught me back in the day with farm equipment batteries.  But I try never to overdraw them, even the deep cycle house ones.  Frequent deep discharge does the quickest harm, and many owners are lucky to get 5 years out of them.  Practice keeping their state of charge (SOC) above 12.5 volts;  at 12 volts they are 50% discharged, and you don’t want that if at all preventable.

Also keep in mind that when on park power or genset, the house set gets charged first.  Then upon reaching about 13.4 volts float, your BIRD kicks the Big Boy solenoid over to recharge the chassis pair.  The reverse is true with the engine running where the alternator does the chassis set first and then at 13.4v gets kicked over to the house ones.  Some people overtax and burn out their alternators, dry camping that way, by not boosting the house set with the generator first before breaking camp.  Alternators for these coaches, as many here can attest are spendy.  But unabused they can last the life of the coach.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 01:44:17 AM »
Reman alternator (Leece-Neville) on the shelf; cash and carry: $140 last summer when mine went out.

I'm sure they can do your starter too.

https://alternatorsandstarter.com/
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 05:03:44 PM »
Gentlemen, one thing you need to check is the engine idle rpms. There is a service bulletin on
Alt not charging because of low engine rpms check your gauges and make sure low idle is 700-
725 rpms. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic