Author Topic: Monterey AC Condeser Damaged by Cooling Fan  (Read 4928 times)

Mark Bryant

Monterey AC Condeser Damaged by Cooling Fan
« on: July 18, 2011, 08:30:11 PM »
Lost cooling from dash AC on last trip in April. Went to local shop to charge system and found it empty of all feron. To check for leaks we pressurized the systrm with air and found the leak in the upper portion of the condenser. The leak was cause by the cooling fan upper left retaining bracket that had came loose from where it hangs over the condenser and wearing though two of the coils in the condenser. Trying to locae on one locally as Monaco want $900.00 plus shipping!

Everybody should check the cooling fan for security as this not going to be cheap. And I should have caught this!

Will let you know if I find one locally,

Mark Bryant
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:58:40 PM by 14 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Monterey AC Condeser Damaged by Cooling Fan
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:48:47 PM »
During a daily walkaround, I discovered the fan box on our Monterey hanging radically askew.  I was lucky because I didn't normally glance through the streetside rear body panel louvers, and minimal damage had been done as yet.  We'd only had the coach a few months and were still in break-in/shake-down mode, and I was new to diesel rigs.  On the road in Boise, Monaco authorized a repair by a non-Monaco RV dealer.

The factory mounts were obviously inadequate, and had allowed the fan and shroud to slip down, scratching some radiator fins in the process, and doing a little other damage, similar to Mark's photo above but with no punctures;  the mounts at the top that came down with the unit did most of the harm, as did, as I recall, the fan motor.  The fan was still operational.  The wires were just about the only thing holding things up at all.  

The Boise technician engineered and fashioned new mounts and a whole new bracket for them to attach to, and I added minor improvements and rubber cushioning, and carefully realigned damaged radiator fins.  Between the two of us we made the system that Monaco should have built in the first place, and the tech's redesign was vastly more substantial.  Theirs was pretty rinky-dink, and essentially a unit failure plus ancillary damage waiting to happen.

Like Mark, I urge fellow owners with similar coach builds to open that rear louvered panel (a couple screws may hold it underneath), and thoroughly check that their AC fan unit is securely mounted, esp. along the top edge.  If it comes loose, you could suffer consequences like he did.  Re-engineering the top mounting arrangement may be your best preventive move, and isn't too difficult after a trip to a homecenter or hardware store.  As an addendum, I had to do a little rebuilding of the rearmost louvered door bottom screw mount, as we discovered it didn't properly line up where it should have to secure that part of the door.  As most of us have discovered, some parts of coaches were put together just too quickly on the production line to be done right.

-Joel
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:01:20 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mark Bryant

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 04:55:20 PM »
Found a condenser that will work, and is only 3/4 of an inch different in size.  Cost is $200.00 with overnight shipping from CA to IN.  Already have made new mounting brackets for condenser and cooling fan.  Cooling fan will be retained so that it will NOT come loose.

Will post pictures when complete.

Mark Bryant
06 Monterey Huntington 38'
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:12:41 PM by 14 »

Tony Roache

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 08:37:51 PM »
I used this ... Richard at myacparts.com for acme or scs parts. He knows his stuff around Beaver Motorcoaches. I sent a picture and he responded right away with the correct coil. He has the correct fans as well.

Mark Bryant

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »
Tony

Thanks for the heads up! I have found a condeser the fits but had the make new brakets. Still waiting for dryer to get here before charging system.

Mark Bryant
06 Monterey 38