Author Topic: Replacing Cooktop with Range/Oven Combo  (Read 1666 times)

Mike Gineris

Replacing Cooktop with Range/Oven Combo
« on: May 18, 2021, 08:47:07 PM »
I know people would likely want the opposite, but we have removed the small two burner cooktop and replaced it with a 20 inch wide 3 burner Range/Oven Combo.  We have the Sharp Convection Microwave above that does venting but it vents into the room.  The new Oven vents upwards from behind the cooktop and the microwave above will suck up the oven exhaust and then proceed to place it right back into the room.  We do have the ceiling vent that's rather close.  Does anyone see any issues here?  Should I be considering some kind of exterior exhaust?

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Replacing Cooktop with Range/Oven Combo
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 09:07:30 PM »
Mike
On my coach I didn't like the fan exhausting back into the room so I removed the micro and flipped the fan over and connected an exhaust hose over to the exterior wall behind the microwave and installed a dryer vent to vent it outside.
It's a fairly easy job apart from getting the microwave lifted in and out.

Hope this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:20:00 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Mike Gineris

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 09:12:06 PM »
The Microwave is already out.  We did a complete rebuild including removing all upper cabinets.  The cabinet is back in.  I thought I could possibly divert the exhaust!  I will take a look.  Thanks!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 09:16:35 PM »
Mike,
IMHO I'd try using it as is and see if microwave filtering is sufficient. Since you are relying on the microwave to pull up the oven exhaust, it may not be sufficient regardless of the type of microwave venting. It would be good to hear from some members who have ovens as to how theirs are vented. A call to BCS might also provide guidance.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 09:38:29 PM »
A gas range/oven and/or cooktop is a combustion appliance and should be vented outside. I don't know how the RV industry gets away with not venting the stove/oven outside. When the wife turns on the fan on the Sharp microwave, the smoke alarm goes off (and she says 'Dinner's Ready!) Our kitchen also has a Fantastic Fan in the ceiling close to the cooktop/microwave. I try to always have it on when cooking.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Gineris

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 09:44:07 PM »
My plan is to follow Eric's advice and flip the blower on the Microwave to exhaust it outside.  I can't imagine this not working.

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 11:21:20 PM »
My 2005 Monterey has a 4 burner stove and gas oven from the factory. The only exhaust Is recirculating through the microwave or to the outside via the ceiling fan. I often use an induction burner in order to conserve propane for refrigerator demand during months of desert dry camping.
I don't cook a lot but haven’t noticed any problems.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 11:29:49 AM »
We replace our convection/microwave with another and vented it outside. Wasn’t easy as our microwave is mounted to the interior wall. Now we don’t lose as much heat from the vent always having to be open. As Bill mentioned the dinner bell isn’t as vocal and we’re not having to clean the vent screen as often
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9