Author Topic: Wheel bearing  (Read 15121 times)

Steve Jewell

Re: Wheel bearing
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 01:55:43 AM »
Jerry

I vote for oil bath. Use synthetic gear oil. You can't wash the stuff off with a stem cleaner so sitting will not be an issue. Will also improve mileage.

Steve J

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 07:14:41 PM »
Oil bath hubs it is  ;)  I've oftened wondered how much merit there was to the argument that the upper part of the bearing woul;d go dry and rust is not moved oftened enough.

Gil

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 09:56:59 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help on the wheel bearings.

I have made my selection to go with Wingfoot(Goodyear).

After looking for a shop here in Seattle, I tried about 10 different places including Camper world, no one wanted to do the job, I did however rule out Paulsbo RV folks as I have had very bad service from them including the last time I did some work at that shop it cost me 20K in repairs for damage they cause.  Oh Well that's another story!

The Fleet Service folks Goodyear only do truck and Bus work, they told me the wheel bear repacking was routine about 1 hour per side with the seals the job will run about $250. I was ready to drive to bend for the job even though they quoted me $600. they save me the WSST 10% but I could not justify the fuel round trip.

I do plan to remove the front tires at the same time and will have them moved to my tag, my existing front tires are new with about 8K miles on them. I will buy 2 new Goodyears $606,00 each and have them placed on the front. The main axle tires are 2005 but Goodyear felt they had lots of life on them and after inspection they show no cracks.

I will plan to replace the rear mains after next season perhaps during one of are stops in Bend we save 60.00 per tire in tax  

I was going to look for the oil bath bears but the guys at Goodyear didn't feel comfortable with the job and since I had a significant saving for the repacking it just didn't make sense.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 10:01:22 PM »
I think you came to the right decision, Jerry.  ;)
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 10:07:08 PM »
Thanks Joel I hope you have a nice weekend
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 10:10:54 PM »
Now that the weather here in our Northwest has stabilized to what could only be described as ideal, I'm sure yours and my weekend will be very nice indeed, Jerry.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat