Author Topic: Jeep Grand Cherokee concern - Flat Towing Problem???  (Read 2064 times)

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee concern - Flat Towing Problem???
« on: June 04, 2021, 04:34:37 AM »
I was wondering if this could be related to flat towing, my imagination, or just a Jeep with lots of miles plus 50k flat towing.

We flat tow a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Off-Road Rated.  With 120 K miles, went in for service.  During the mechanics check of the car, he found the Front Differential Mounts were both bad and needed to be replaced.

Which we did.  My question is has anyone had the same type of failure with a Jeep Cherokee. 

It makes me wonder why they failed.  We have not had any problems with flat towing.  And this Jeep has not seen any serious Off-Road

Is related to Flat Towing? 

We use the Air Force 1 Air Brake system with a Roadmaster All-Terrain Tow bar.  The Jeep has the Hemi, so it's a heavy motor.  I did upgrade the Shocks to Koni's.  But other than that it's stock.

Comments?                                                                                                                         

Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
Re: Jeep Grand Cherokee concern - Flat Towing Problem???
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 04:58:43 PM »
Bill
Those mounts are created from a synthetic rubber compound.  The compound deteriorates over time (compounded by heat).  On your 2005, I would consider their failure a normal ageing issue.
Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp