Author Topic: Wandering Beaver?  (Read 3983 times)

Mack Turner

Wandering Beaver?
« on: July 18, 2021, 05:15:03 AM »
2001 Beaver Patriot Concord 33 Magnum Air chassy, I've had 4 shops look at it and no one can identify anything wrong. I've replaced all shocks with Koni, added a steering stabilizer, had an alignment and great tires, but 2 hours driving and I'm beat from the constant back and forth required to keep it in the lane. About ready to sell it if I can't fix the problem? Coach only has 55k miles on it but just exhausting to drive. Has anyone resolved this issue with your coach?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Wandering Beaver?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 06:01:05 AM »
I regret to assume that you’re apparently in Michigan.  The best chassis outfit in the country is Henderson’s Lineup in Grants Pass, Oregon.  I have little doubt that they could find and repair your issue if there was any way for you to find your way there this summer.  Did anyone check the bell crank?

As an option you might call Bob Henderson and see if he can zero you in on both the possible culprit and a reputable shop reasonably near you.

https://www.hendersonslineup.com/about-us

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Ron Davis

Mack Turner

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 06:05:42 AM »
Yes I'm in Michigan and considered Henderson's but that would be a two week drive for me at 2 hours a day. Not sure what the bell cranks is?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 06:47:37 AM »
Well, I’m not up on steering systems like others here, and for all I know (or remember) our coaches may use a different sort of steering gear component than a gas coach, so my bell crank comment may be out of place.  As I recall Henderson’s simply made adjustments to our “gear” during road testing, and it may be helpful in your case, though I’d expect someone to have already done that.  But as I said, Henderson’s should merit a call Monday.

Should curiosity grab you:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD-bT3OLPxY

Joel
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 06:58:53 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 07:17:07 AM »
Mack
Just a couple points.  We had similar issues  and is sure was work to drive.  Problem turned out to be the locking collar on the pitman arm.  It was very loose.  4 visits to shops to find it as it was hidden by dirt so you didn’t see it until you looked closely and put your hand on it while the steering wheel was moved.
Wheel alignment also comes to mind.
Source Engineering in Vaneta Or. are good chassis guys too.  They engineered them for Monaco.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 03:23:27 PM »
   Mack,
 I think the point Keith is making is try to determine if there is any free-play in the pitman arm where it attaches to the drag link. With the coach parked and the steering wheel straight ahead, how far can you turn the steering wheel from side to side before the front wheels actually start to move. If it is excessive, next determine if the free-play is inside the steering gear box or the pitman arm to the draglink. (the pitman arm is the part coming out the side of the gear box that moves forward and back). With someone holding the pitman arm, turn the steering wheel from side to side. If the wheel moves and the pitman arm doesn't, the issue is between the worm and sector adjustment. If the pitman arm moves and the drag link doesn't then the issue is where they attach. Excessive free-play in the steering will wear anybody out in a short time and is dangerous. Good luck and I hope you discover your problem, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 03:34:47 PM »
Read all about the fix for wandering coaches here:

https://monacowatts.com/
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 04:36:03 PM »
Check all points made by Keith and Fred, check mfg of steering box; if its a Shepard box, see if you can replace it with one by TRW. When all above is done, and you still have the wander, see Monacowatts for a fix. Basically, the chassis design allows the rear of the coach to 'steer' the front, hence the wandering. Adding the Watts link eliminates the tendency for the 'tail to wag the dog'.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Vince Bunting

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 10:47:57 PM »
I had a similar problem, the last shop had over inflated my tires.  Lower the pressure (when cold) back to factory spec.  For me - problem solved.
Kris & Vince
2001 Monterey Trinidad
Cat 3126 330HP
07 Saturn Vue
The following users thanked this post: Roy Boles

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 12:29:54 AM »
Bill
You mention the Monaco Watts link as a solution for wandering.  Years ago when I first bought my '06 Monterey, I contacted the people at Monaco Watts about the Watts link system.  They told me the Watts Link system would NOT fit my Roadmaster "M" (left over Magnum) chassis.  Has something changed recently that would make the Monaco Watts system a viable option for Beaver coaches?  Inquisitive minds are looking for answers.
Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 02:48:20 AM »
Mack,
I have pretty much the same MH as you without a slide.  I also have new shocks, tires wit beads, new air bags and bushing in the control arms.  My Coach was modified at some point and had two additional shocks added to the front.  Not sure who did it, but it looks professionally done.  I do not have a ton of play in my steering, its actually pretty tight.

I have added a Super Steer adjustable trim kit to go with the Safe-T-Plus which lets me recenter the Safe-T-Plus on the fly.  This has been a great addition for dealing with crowns and cross winds.  On a 6 hour trip  I will probably recenter it 10 times.  I have also added Air Tabs to the rear.  I don't know how much they help since I did several things at once, but I barely feel Tractor Trailers anymore.

I run 100 psi front and 90 psi rear.I also usually travel with a full tank of fresh water. With all that done I would still like to improve the driving even more.

Part of not wearing yourself out is to not saw at the wheel and pick a spot farther down the road and steer to that spot not right in front of you.  I am sure I am also forgetting some of what I have done to this coach.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or want to compare how these coaches drive.  I also feel that there is maybe a little more that can be done to make this even a better driver.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Mack Turner

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 03:09:19 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'm going to check everything Keith and Fred talked about above and I am running 100 in front and 90 and back. I have considered the air tabs but I'm not quite there yet and the coach is actually at the shop right now to get the alternator replaced and I'm going to have them look at the linkage on the steering and the steering box if they're willing.

Mack Turner

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 03:10:14 AM »
I'll look into the adjustable trim kit as well

Mack Turner

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2021, 03:12:18 AM »
Billl, I didn't see anything in the Monacowatts fix for a magnum chassis, it looked like it was only roadmaster.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2021, 06:04:05 AM »
I can not say for sure if this is your problem but I can say with my 98 Monterey and many others it is a design flaw in the wheel base length, it's to short and there is a weight balance issue. My self and other short (30-33ft) Beaver owners started to research this and found out there was not enough weight on the front axle. We found some Beaver dealers added a 500# slug of weight on the front to help along with the Steersafe. We looked and did find some that did have the weight. We found if we traveled with full fuel and water tanks it helped but didn't cure the problem so we added weight to the front of ours. We added 700# to the front in front of the axle at the end of the frame rails. Because it was in front of the axle it actually added 900# to front axle weight. This did not completely cure the problem but with the SteerSafe and Henderson's airvalves in the rear airbags it was 95% done. I was so pleased because it was a one hand driver and my wife could drive it then. If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me. By the way, my friend that did this with me still owns his shorty and has for over 12 years.