Author Topic: Radiator caps  (Read 3770 times)

Les Marzec

Radiator caps
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:49:08 PM »
I have lost two radiator caps in the last two trips.  Has anyone else had that problem.  Pat Thunder with C12.  Maybe they are not put on properly.  Don't know.  I just had the coolant serviced and CAT told me that I did not have a cap. SO I they put one on and I went on a short trip for a couple of days.

I just did a once over for my next trip and I noticed that it was gone again. Not losing any coolant.  Tank is at same level.

I will replace with a 9 lb per the last thread about expansions tanks.

Thanks for the feedback.

Les

Jim Gill

Re: Radiator caps
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 12:28:13 AM »
Les
If you're referring to the rad cap on the expansion tank and if it is similar to mine (2006 Monterey w/Cat C9), remember that the first clockwise rotation stop when installing the cap only takes it partway and up to the point where you need to push down on it firmly to get it to rotate an additional 20-30 degrees in the same direction where it will finally lock into its sealed and retained position. I can only assume that if your caps were installed without assuring that they had been rotated into their final position, perhaps they were able to vibrate off.

When removing the cap and assuming it has been installed correctly, you need to push down firmly on the cap before you begin the counterclockwise rotation...otherwise it will not rotate at all.
Just a thought.
Jim    

Les Marzec

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 02:43:55 AM »
Jim

Thanks for your thoughts.  I did not put the caps on so I am not sure what they did.  I know that the tank is tucked up higher and is hard to get to the fill neck.  But when I get the cap, I will make sure to do what you suggested.  Thanks

Les

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 11:26:42 PM »
I believe it was a 7 1/2 pound cap to which Gerald referred.  I changed mine about 2 years ago with no known adverse affects.

Larry