Author Topic: Magnum Intellidrive. Engine Shutdown: On  (Read 6998 times)

Mark Anderson

Magnum Intellidrive. Engine Shutdown: On
« on: September 15, 2021, 07:06:27 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have this showing on my Intellidrive.  See attached photo.

I am assuming there is some interlock causing this.  What are the possibilities?

It is a 1998 Contessa, Magnum Chassis, Cat 3126

Thanks for any help!

Mark

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Magnum Intellidrive. Engine Shutdown: On
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 12:07:07 AM »
Used to have one of those.  Silver leaf makes a great unit to replace it.
I believe you are on the set up screen and can choose to turn those elements on or off line by line.
There are people with better answers though so be patient as the International rally started today.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 12:38:48 AM »
   Mark,
Tell us what you are experiencing with the engine. You are looking at the set up menu of the Engine Control Module (ECM). You may want to have Caterpillar tech connect to the OBD (on board diagnostics) to advise if there are stored codes having to do with the engine. Does the engine crank? Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Mark Anderson

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 12:56:38 AM »
OK...kind of a long story.  I have been stationary for about 3 months.  We were getting ready to leave and it wouldn't start.  It barely turned over.  So I figured batteries were low.  I tried the boost switch, no luck.  Took the batteries out and had them tested.  One was bad, the other was still good but nearing the end. So I replaced them both.  At this point I noticed I lost all information to the Intellidrive (battery voltage, temperatures, etc.)  Took the ECM to Holt Cat in San Antonio and they confirmed it was bad (no communication).  They quoted me 3500 for a replacement.  I decided to go with 1engineplus and I sent them my engine ser.# and a print out of my ECM summary.  Got the ECM back in and this is where I'm at.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 01:36:44 AM »
  Mark,
I don't quite understand what the ECM has to do with a slow cranking engine. Does it still turn over slowly or not. Do your gauges operate with the key in the "on" position? Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 01:43:37 AM »
Mark,

Can you scroll down and change the engine shutdown from on to off?  I believe there is a manual in the help section for members.  I haven't played with my Intellidrive recently, but I believe you can change most of those options.  It may have been a way to keep unwanted people from borrowing your MH.  Hopefully that's all this is.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Mark Anderson

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 02:00:16 AM »
I believe the ECM died at some point between the first time I tried to start it and when I replaced the batteries because I did at one point see the battery voltage and temps displayed on the Intellidrive.  I agree, I don't think the ECM was part of the original problem of not starting.

I'll see if I can locate a user manual for the intellidrive and see if there is a way to change it.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 02:24:05 AM »
Mark
I believe Fred is correct the first screen on the intelledrive is giving you information from the engine ECM .
Those are program perimeters in the ECM they can only be changed with Cat ET software by a dealer.

It sounds to me that your ECM died when the batteries where disconnected .
The older ECMs had a small battery on the printed circuit board which was there to maintain the program memory the problem occurs when the board mounted battery dies ( with age ) the ECM will work fine untill the first time the chassis. Battery goes dead or is disconnected when that happens the ECM programing is lost leaving the ECM inoperative

If I understand you have had the ECM rebuilt or repaired and the engine still doesn't start.
Have you connected to Cat ET checked for communication or checked for ECM power and grounds

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Mark Anderson

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 02:39:56 AM »
I guess I'll try and find someone that can connect to the ECM and check it out.  Does it have to be a Cat dealer or will any diesel mechanic do?  Closest Cat dealer is about 1.5 hrs away.  I'll call around tomorrow and report back.  Thanks for all the info and advice!

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 02:52:17 AM »
Mark
Unfortunately although most shops should have software to connect to your Cat most won't have capability to access all the things that the Cat dealer with Cat ET software and cat dealer access codes which will allow them to make programing changes if needed.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 03:15:32 PM »
Now that your motor has a aftermarket ECM I don't know if Cat will even hookup to it, some of their shops are a bit picky about what they will hookup to. Might be a issue.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 04:17:22 PM »
    Mark,
After reading thru this several times, I am trying to figure out what happened to the original ECM. The Electronic Control Module has Rom, Ram and an EEprom. It is designed to allow for a chassis batteries replacement. It does not have a CMOS memory battery internally to sustain information. When 12 volt power is restored, it boots up the ROM to restore all the internal programming. Cat has the ability to access the EEprom to  change its parameters that govern engine performance. The only thing I can guess is that perhaps reverse polarity from the chassis battery may have damaged the ECM. But even that is only a guess because you would think Caterpillar has enough moxie to cover a potential mistake like that! Wish I could help further, I still think you need a Caterpillar technician with Cat computor software to analyze your present condition. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Mark Anderson

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2021, 04:41:59 PM »
Hi Fred..I don't know what caused the ECM to go bad.  I am worried about that.  I changed the batteries myself they are connected properly.  I just can't help feeling I did something to cause it.  Maybe when I hit the boost?  I never used it in the 2 years I have owned the coach.  And I am not sure EXACTLY when I lost communication with the ECM.  After I tried to start it the first time I looked at the Intellidrive and I saw my batteries had 12V.  After I put the new batteries in and it still didnt start, that's when I noticed 0 volts on the Intellidrive and also noticed my check engine light and warm up light also didnt come on.  Then I researched online and suspected a bad ECM.  I removed it and took it to Cat to test and they confirmed no communication.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2021, 06:16:33 PM »
   Hi Mark,
Attached is a 1996 safari schematic that shows the basic wiring between the chassis batteries and the engine ECM. It also shows a 20 amp fuse between the batteries and the ECM. My coach has a fuse block just forward of the batteries on the sheet metal bulkhead that controls my ECM. I am not sure where yours may be located. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Mark Anderson

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2021, 06:30:49 PM »
Thanks Fred.  Before I removed the ECM I did check voltages and grounds at the connectors to it.  I cant remember the exact pins but they were all OK.  The new ECM is installed and I have communication again.  I just cant get this darn thing to start.  I have a mechanic coming out to look at it.