Author Topic: Check Engine light flashes sometimes when using Cruise Control - 2005 C13  (Read 1345 times)

Mike Shumack

I noticed a couple of times when turning on, or reactivating the cruise control, the check engine light will flash a couple of times (maybe 5 or 6 flashes) and the cruise doesn't turn on. It will come on after another attempt. I have seen this behavior too when trying to bump up the idle speed while parked. It doesn't happen all the time.  I can only read stored codes with my scanner and there are none.
Has anyone else with a C13 seen this?

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Check Engine light flashes sometimes when using Cruise Control - 2005 C13
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 02:50:19 PM »
    Mike,
You may need to clean or replace the "clock spring" under the steering wheel as it feeds the smart wheel info to the VIP control module that executes your commands to the engine. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 03:14:53 PM »
Hi Fred,
I don't think it is a loss of signal issue from the Smartwheel since the engine ecm is responding (the Check Engine light comes on). All the other Smartwheel controls work fine. It seems like the cruise control request is being sent but the engine computer is seeing (or not seeing) some input, like a faulty speed sensor (although it does it in neutral sometimes).  90 percent of the time it works fine. I wouldn't have bothered mentioning it now - but it happened twice on my 11 day trip.

another thing, maybe not related - but when I set the cruise for a specific speed, say 70 mph, the Aladdin will show my current speed as a "steady 70 mph, but my ScanGuage D (which is reading the same info) shows it jumping between 66 and 70 mph every couple of seconds. Since the Aladdin is steady, I'm thinking this is more of glitchy ScanGauge refresh.

Maybe I can hook up with someone that has a full scanner (CAT ET or such) and see if anything is recorded (history code, etc.).

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 03:44:53 PM »
  Perhaps that may be the best choice if you can find someone that has that. Aladdin and scan d are both after-market items that I don't have much confidence in. Your coach is now 17 years old so it wouldn't hurt to clean the carbon tracks on the clock spring. At least you scratch that off the list if it doesn't help. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 01:36:46 AM »
Mike,
Pressing the cruise control  On/Off repeatedly will cause the Check Engine light to come on. Just press it once and then set your speed. ECU is slow to display status but it will set speed.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp