Author Topic: Brake Caliper Rails  (Read 3781 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Brake Caliper Rails
« on: August 10, 2011, 12:08:01 PM »
Our Magnum chassis manual suggests I lube the caliper rails every two years with silicon grease.  In my otherwise very detailed maintenance log, there is no reference to this ever being done.
At our local shop last year I convinced the mechanic to do this even over his objections about dirt collecting in the grease.  The difference was noticeable as soon as I left the shop.
At the rally in Redmond last year and with conflicting information in hand, I did what every newbie does.  I asked Gerald who helped me understand how all this goes together.
After the rally, I stopped in at Coach Masters of Bend where I was shown rotors that exploded from not lubing the rails.  These were extreme examples resulting in one death as I recall.
We haven't traveled far this year so I just got our Pat. in to our local shop.  They did the rear rails for me.  
All four brakes are now working properly and the squealing is gone.  
Stopping is dramatically improved in traffic and there seems to be no more drag under power.  
Amazing that a bit of grease can make such a difference in both power and stopping.

This is for all of us newbies out here who are still learning our systems and getting a handle on how important certain things are.
Thanks again to Gerald.  You really are a life saver.
Keith
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:31:39 AM by 14 »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!