Author Topic: chalking roof  (Read 4684 times)

Roger Bowton

chalking roof
« on: August 16, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Would appreciate advice on preserving roof of our 2006 Monterey. See where someone used Poly Glow. We have some chalking from the white on top. What should we use to seal it? Thanks
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:51:13 PM by 14 »

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: chalking roof
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:01:56 AM »
I used marine epoxy white paint from West Marine.  First, I washed the roof, then sanded very lightly, wiped with acetone and applied 2 coats.  It has been on for 5 years and all the white chalky streaks are gone....  Now I just hose with water and the roof looks like new.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Keith Oliver

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 03:30:08 AM »
Hold everything!  I have a fibreglass boat, built in 1980, so over 30 yrs of the sun trying to beat through the shine on the glass, and mostly succeeding.  I have owned this boat 17 yrs.  I have tried most of the cleaners, cleaner/polish combinations, even wet/dry sandpaper (2000 grit).  The oxidation on the glass was impervious to all of my efforts until this summer.  I strayed into possession of a cleaner called Collinite 920 (Fibreglass Boat cleaner) and used it to good effect.  My fibreglass now shines, better than it did in 1994 when new to me.  I don't know how long it will last, but with 3 coats of their 925 fibreglass boat wax, it looks so good that I will be shocked if it doesn't last.  Bonus:  It doesn't take nearly the effort I have put into scores of lesser products.  I think the trick is to keep rubbing the cleaner till you rub right through to the shine.
I recognized the brand name, due to the PO of my Beaver leaving some #8** RV cleaner/wax aboard the MH when I bought it, and it has a great finish, except on the roof.  I believe the roof wasn't done, so I am going to use the boat stuff there and I expect nothing less than the performance I have just seen on my boat.
Disclaimer:  I have no connection whatsoever with the makers/sellers of this product.

Brad Burgess

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:59:26 AM »
Based on comments contained on several RV boards I recently coated my roof with the Bus Kote system.  Not only does it protect the roof and stop the streaking, it also insulates to a degree.

Brad Burgess
03 Monterey #800460

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 05:58:18 PM »
This was discussed for 2 pages previously, in 10/2010.  Search Roof Oxidation on this forum.  Check  the Thread Tag Cloud at the bottom of this page.

Larry