Author Topic: Air up the coach  (Read 1889 times)

Dennis Campbell

Air up the coach
« on: March 02, 2022, 11:42:08 AM »
Hi all,
I'm unable to start my coach at the moment, but need to raise it up to full height. Is it possible to hook up an air compressor some where to do this?
May also need to release the brakes. Probably to different air systems so where to connect a compressor or other means to achieve this?
Thanks!

Read in one thread where it's possible, although the Beaver manual says no  :-\
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 01:22:59 PM by Dennis Campbell »

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
Re: Air up the coach
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 08:29:24 PM »
Dennis,

I would be interested to know the Beaver manual says about using an air compressor to air up the coach, I haven’t noticed anything about that in our manual.

But yes, you can air up your coach with an air compressor. There should be a male air-chuck in the generator compartment, ours is low on the curbside. A portable air compressor can make a lot of water so it would be best to use a portable air dryer. This would allow you to raise the coach and release the park brake. Not sure what kind of air compressor you would use, but monitor the air pressure and don’t go over 120 PSI.

-Scott
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 11:59:26 PM »
Hi all,
I'm unable to start my coach at the moment, but need to raise it up to full height. Is it possible to hook up an air compressor some where to do this?
May also need to release the brakes. Probably to different air systems so where to connect a compressor or other means to achieve this?
Thanks!

Well this begs the question…. Why are you not able to start your coach?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 12:34:26 AM »
I will air up my coach with a Emglo Contractors Air compressor that tops out at 120 PSI, less at the air chuck in the service bay.  I usually do this before any trip to shorten the time the engines air pump has to work before I take off as I usually pull into the church lot across the street to hook up the TOAD and leave from there.  Never had any problems doing this and have a special adapter to go from the air hose to the Coaches Chuck.  Hopefully I will never need it to tow them MH but it is there in case I do.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Dennis Campbell

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 02:57:58 AM »
Dennis,

I would be interested to know the Beaver manual says about using an air compressor to air up the coach, I haven’t noticed anything about that in our manual.

But yes, you can air up your coach with an air compressor. There should be a male air-chuck in the generator compartment, ours is low on the curbside. A portable air compressor can make a lot of water so it would be best to use a portable air dryer. This would allow you to raise the coach and release the park brake. Not sure what kind of air compressor you would use, but monitor the air pressure and don’t go over 120 PSI.

-Scott

Hi Scott,
It's a pretty broad statement, but on page 260 at the top it says " This fitting is not designed to charge the air system on the motorhome"
Perhaps there another fitting that I've overlooked. at any rate I did not need to air it up, but I will take another look to see if there is another fitting in the generator compartment!
Thanks, Dennis

Dennis Campbell

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 03:03:40 AM »
Hi all,
Thanks!

Well this begs the question…. Why are you not able to start your coach?

Well...great question!
I had the valve cover off the engine to clean the connections and install the o rings on the connectors to the fuel injectors per Dave Atherton"s recommendations so I was unable to start. I needed to raise the back end of the coach to make a connection and my body to was too big to squeeze in there!

Dennis Campbell

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 03:04:31 AM »
I will air up my coach with a Emglo Contractors Air compressor that tops out at 120 PSI, less at the air chuck in the service bay.  I usually do this before any trip to shorten the time the engines air pump has to work before I take off as I usually pull into the church lot across the street to hook up the TOAD and leave from there.  Never had any problems doing this and have a special adapter to go from the air hose to the Coaches Chuck.  Hopefully I will never need it to tow them MH but it is there in case I do.

Thanks Carl, that is helpfull!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 05:55:02 AM »
The only option would be the quick connect next to the 4 air tank bleeder valves in the battery bay on an ‘06 Monterey.  See the valves in the very far left of the battery photo below.  The line connect has a red dust cap on it I put on.

If you ever need a tow, that’s where a tow truck driver would attach his air line to release the coach brake.  I would assume he would thus be able to air up the rig to travel mode accordingly, which implies it would solve your issue.  But always make sure you block the chassis whenever going underneath it so it can’t accidentally crush you.

I have a high capacity hydraulic jack and stands for such endeavors as tire/wheel changes (like I’ll ever be able to do that myself  :o) ;  but I must respect their limitations and there’s nothing like a well-set heavy wood block for safety.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 06:05:46 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Beamon

Dennis Campbell

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 12:13:16 PM »
The only option would be the quick connect next to the 4 air tank bleeder valves in the battery bay on an ‘06 Monterey.  See the valves in the very far left of the battery photo below.  The line connect has a red dust cap on it I put on.

If you ever need a tow, that’s where a tow truck driver would attach his air line to release the coach brake.  I would assume he would thus be able to air up the rig to travel mode accordingly, which implies it would solve your issue.  But always make sure you block the chassis whenever going underneath it so it can’t accidentally crush you.

I have a high capacity hydraulic jack and stands for such endeavors as tire/wheel changes (like I’ll ever be able to do that myself  :o) ;  but I must respect their limitations and there’s nothing like a well-set heavy wood block for safety.

Joel

Thanks for that info Joel. I was able to everything back together and will make it back to Gillette today before the winter storm hits! I'm already wishing I could have stayed south a little longer .....

Dennis