Author Topic: Gray Valve not opening  (Read 1415 times)

George Frudakis

• BAC Member
Gray Valve not opening
« on: March 07, 2022, 10:38:04 PM »
My black valve opens but the gray does not. They are both only two years old. I check the inline fuse directly behind the on-off switch and it ok. Does anyone know where the other fuse is located that is dedicated to the valves.? Thanks George
George Frudakis
2002 Marquis, Jasper
Ford F150 Platinum

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Gray Valve not opening
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 10:53:50 PM »
If your electric dump valves are like mine, the inline fuse is right next to the valve; ok if you have access to the valve but in my case, the valves are behind the wet bay trim panel. On the Drainmaster valves, there is a small allen socket that you can turn with a 1/8" allen wrench to override the motor and open/ close the valve. I've modified my wet bay and moved the fuses to panel mount fuseholders and I've drilled access holes so I can get to that override without removing the panel. Made up a 14" long allen wrench to get the job done. Good luck!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 10:57:04 PM »
Oh, and I've found that when the valves don't open or close like they should, I can just back off on the 4 mounting bolts a 1/4 turn or so, that has freed up the valves more than once. Its a trick to get access with a 7/16 wrench but it can be done.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 12:15:42 AM »
One other trick is to open valves when engine is running or plugged into shore power. I have found the higher voltage helps the motor open and close the valves easier. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 12:30:31 AM »
I have found a few "tricks" that seem to help the electric DrainMaster valves open and close.

1. After draining the two waste tanks, I dump in a quart of cooking oil periodically to help lubricate the surfaces and rubber seals so they will operate with less friction.
2. When not opening or closing properly, I press the switches back and forth between opening and closing the valves.  Usually, after a couple of tries back and forth, the valves will open and close.
3. The higher voltage in the system when the generator is running or when plugged into shore power helps the valves open and close easier... as noted in the prior reply.

Warning from DrainMaster - Don't hold the switches in the open or closed positions for longer than a second or two.  If the valves move, then you can hear them operating.  If the switches are pressed and held in the open or closed position for longer than a second or two, then the motors will overheat and stop functioning, and the valves will need replacing.  When you hear the valves open or close, they will fully open or close in about 1 1/2 seconds.  Just don't continue to press and hold the switches for more than two seconds.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

David Ciotti

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 01:13:57 PM »
My black tank valve has a 1/8" hex wrench connection but the gray valve has a flat blade screwdriver connection.  When the gray valve is completely open it sticks so after fully opening the gray valve I close it slightly and then it doesn't stick.  I removed the towel dispenser in my wet bay and it gives me just enough access to get at the valves.  I think I am going to replace them this summer.
2002 Marquis Jasper. 40'. Cat C12

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 02:15:25 PM »
clean the vales and add some plumbers grease this worked for me I had one electric and one manual on our 06 PT
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13