Author Topic: 2005 Monterey  (Read 2499 times)

Jerry Johnson

• BAC Member
2005 Monterey
« on: March 26, 2022, 10:53:41 PM »

Looking for advice

We have a 2005 Monterey C-9

We are getting started on our trip and having what I think is an electrical problem
The oil pressure gage on the Aladdin is is being erratic.  It will bounce from 0 to 86, yet sometimes it acts correctly. The pressure gage in the dash works correctly and stays at 50-55 so I’m confident there is no oil pressure problem. Sometimes when it acts up it throws us into limp mode. Sometimes I tap accelerator and it comes out of it and runs.
To make matters worse it is erratic and not consistent.
The first 120 miles it acted up 4 times. The next 180 miles it ran perfect.

Seems like an electrical short or maybe a sending unit.

Have any of you experienced this or do you have thoughts.

I am going to Check plug connectors

Jerry 503-799-2146. Send me a text with your thoughts or post on forum

2005 Beaver Monterey
C-9  400

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: 2005 Monterey
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 02:40:47 AM »
thi could be a ground issue
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 03:41:04 AM »
Jerry
The C9 has two separate sending units that report oil pressure.  One sending unit provides information to the dash gauge, the other unit provides information to the ECM.  You are having an intermittent issue with the sending unit that provides information to the ECM.  I would recommend you order a new replacement sending unit from CAT. Both sending units are located close together on the passenger side of the engine about mid way up from the bottom.  They are a bit difficult to get to (you will likely have to move or remove things to get to them).  Which is why I recommend you have a new one in hand before you get in there.  In my case, it was the dash gauge unit that failed, but replacing either one is the same process.  Good luck.
Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 02:05:30 PM »
FWIW - Have the same engine in our 2005 Monterey. Ours had a a check engine light upon startup on a 40 degree morning but it never went into limp mode. Seemed to have too high oil pressure. Put a call into “Ask Dave” Atherton and he suggested driving easily and seeing if the light went out as the oil warmed. After 15-20 minutes the light went out. Dave suggested having the oil pump investigated to see if the internal pressure regulator shuttle was galled and possibly sticking. He mentioned either a technical bulletin or recall for the matter. At our service center, that was done, the shuttle was indeed galled and sticking. A new pump was installed and the issue was resolved.
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Jerry Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 05:01:10 PM »

I found a cat repair place that is going to install the new oil pressure sending unit and new oil and fuel filters. I am parked at the cat repair place right now.
Hopefully that will keep us on the road.

Thank you all for your comments and advise

Jerry
2005 Beaver Monterey
C-9  400

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 03:35:57 AM »
Make sure they use CAT filters!
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon