Author Topic: Best Inverter?  (Read 2633 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Best Inverter?
« on: April 02, 2022, 01:58:33 PM »
Since it looks like I’m in the market for an inverter, looking for any recent experience with new inverters. I have a Magnum MS 2812 now. It was considered the Cadillac when I bought it 8 years ago. I’m looking for at least 2500 watts. Any newer, more advanced and lighter ones available now?  Especially lighter!
Thanks
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Best Inverter?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 02:55:07 PM »
   Jerry,
The MS-2812 is a very good pure sine wave inverter. I would perform a "hard reset" before replacing it. Remove the positive battery cable carefully and then the negative cable. Unplug the coach, let it set for ten minutes. Note: when you reconnect the battery cables, you will get a big spark! This is normal. Then plug the coach back in. If no Joy, read my comment on your other post. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 03:25:00 PM »
Thanks Fred.  I did the hard reset and soft last night before I posted.  I’m pretty familiar with the troubleshooting steps. Just afraid I missed something.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 10:13:37 PM »
Inverters may be suffering a bit from the pandemic and chip shortages, because I understand they and their parts are hard to come by. 

Just to relate my recent and ongoing inverter story, and perhaps to make a long story too long:
After a squirrel invaded our bay late last fall and tore up a table cloth that apparently then got sucked up over the inverter’s cooling vents, I tried a reset but didn’t realize it’s ill-advised to do that while plugged into AC.  Oops.  It blew the 300amp fuse, which as it turns out was a “fast blow” that the factory shouldn’t have installed.  A big shout out to Fred Brooks here who helped me track down the failed fuse, as it doesn’t look like the ANL ones, or a regular fuse at all for that matter.  After some effort I got the correct “slow blow” fuse, but the Magnum MS2012 was dead.  https://smile.amazon.com/Magnum-T300-300-Class-Fuse/dp/B00B2JSG8Q/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=xs6J1&pf_rd_p=a654ad73-af1c-40d7-8dbb-00cce9c459f1&pf_rd_r=RNWHGMT0452H7DX7F4MA&pd_rd_r=56128998-2d4a-4602-8755-7b28070b54a0&pd_rd_wg=VpeEa&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Fortunately there is a certified repair shop, ASE Supply, 15 miles away in NE Portland and they thought they’d have the inverter fixed by yesterday, but turns out after having it 5 days they haven’t even started on it.  Hopefully next week… but I fret that if one of the boards needs replacing as I suspect, its rarity may keep me stymied for the rest of the spring if not longer.  If I was more experienced testing and replacing circuit board components, I’d go that route.  I’ve done some c.b. work, but these particular boards are complex.  I’ve yet to find a local shop for circuit board repair.  In a pinch if ASE finds a “bad” board, I might consider mailing it off to M&M Electronics   https://www.mmrvelectronics.com/  .

I gotta add that getting that upside-down inverter dismounted and out of the bay was a bugger.  Apart from it weighing 43+ pounds, the factory had stripped the Phillips heads on two of the four screws holding the 12v posts’ plastic covers on.  Just getting my Fluke’s test probes in place was a bear until I got those screws out the hard way.  I spent last week trying to find replacement screws as they are rare stainless 10X16’s, but again got lucky with a local outlet, Oregon Bolt, Inc. 

While laying on my back alongside, I used a wheeled floor jack on the bay slideout tray with a plywood board on top to hold the inverter in place while removing the four retaining nuts;  then carefully released the jack fluid, slowly lowering the inverter while keeping the board level with the other hand.   Rather than keep wrenching old muscles trying to get in and out of the bay a dozen times, I devised that I could ingress and egress more easily using an awning hook/rod, looping its circular handle over the bay slide’s outside release lever from deep inside the bay, and moving myself in and out sans squeezing under the opening.  Enjoyable project (not!) :o , but other than a couple old guy’s pains afterward, it worked fine, and I could just wheel the inverter out on the jack afterward.  It’ll eventually go back in similarly, but lining up the 4 mounting studs outta be fun. 

Incidentally, the top of the unit was covered in varmint droppings and old urine, so it may be that that was it’s original malady more than a wayward tablecloth.  Some of it could’ve been there since 2015 when a Chinchilla snuck in the open bay at Unity State Park and accompanied us for a week.  No wonder I could never completely get the smell out despite multiple bay cleanings, Febreze, and an ozone machine.  Word to the wise, keep your bay doors closed when you aren’t present… not even for a few minutes!

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 10:20:40 PM »
I used this tranny jack from HF when my world was upside down while I replaced my 60 lb inverter (inverted!!)

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jerry Emert

Dan Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 11:58:54 PM »
Three months ago I purchase my Beaver. The previous owner replaced the inverter with a Xantrex  Freedon XC Pro 3000 watts. Lots of adjustments and seems to work fine.
2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald
Cat C-12
Nebraska

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 12:39:00 AM »
Not to hijack Jerry's thread here, but I think he's got another related one running anyway.  An update on my inverter tale: 

M&M RV Electronics offers rebuilt MS2012's for $1100.  They could repair mine, but shipping 43lbs. back and forth, plus new circuit boards and labor would be about the same.  ASE here in Portland today has mine repaired with two new boards for $935 all inclusive.  M&M would not repair just the two boards as I'd hoped, as they sensibly need the whole unit to make sure nothing else is amiss such that I reinstall it and blow boards again. 

I just wish I was more electronics astute;  I have several books and a high end tweezers-format component tester that's over my head.  With my tremor it's a bugger to solder and desolder small components, especially newer surface-mount (SMD) diodes and transistors that are preferably tested while removed from the board.  Feedback from other components on a circuit run can give false readings otherwise.  Removing and testing hundreds of tiny components isn't worth the hours and aggravation (tremor), even if it's likely just one or two 10 cent components behind the problem.  That said, sometimes I get lucky and find and fix a nano-cracked solder point, blown Samsung capacitor, or bad diode on some device, saving having to buy a whole new appliance of some kind.

So again, a word to the wise:  (1) keep the critters out of the bay system (most are connected above the rails so they can go from one to another), and (2) don't press the Reset button on the inverter itself if you're plugged into 120v power.  The repair fellow said the critter had wizzed atop the unit (where it was cozy warm I guess), and that had leaked down onto the board(s), most likely causing the initial erratic readings on the remote.

Joel.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat