Author Topic: Super Steer motion control units  (Read 1358 times)

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Super Steer motion control units
« on: April 15, 2022, 01:04:19 AM »
This will be a little long to document what was already done before I added these valves.

When I got my coach it handled very badly as it had been neglected for some time. On the 600 plus mile trip home in hurricane evacuation traffic it slammed into expansion joints, wandered, porpoised, and was blown around by Tractor trailers and buses.

Once I got it home I installed new tires, new shocks, new airbags, air tabs, and a safe-t-plus with the super steer trim kit.  All of these things made for a totally different riding coach.  It handled expansion joints much better, passing tractor trailers were only a mild push if anything at all, it didn't porpoise, and it tracked straight.  Since I installed everything at once except the safe t plus which was not long after I can not say what had the biggest impact on fixing my ill handling problems.  That was about 4 years or so ago.

Earlier this month I decided to add the Super Steer motion control units.  Per Super Steer's recommendations I put the SSE5055's on the front and the SSE5065's on the rear.  My wife and I drove about 350 miles today and about 40 miles in my wife commented that the coach rode better.

My observations are that side to side swaying out of a driveway was greatly reduced.  The minor push I had from Tractor trailers was virtually eliminated.  Expansion joints were softened even more, not eliminated, but softened.  Both good and bad roads rode better. 

I chose the Super Steer units over the units from source engineering because source never responded to my email when I was asking questions about the motion control units.  I was also impressed by the quality of my Super Steer trim unit. 

Was this install a game changer for the ride of the motorhome?  Honestly it was not, but it was more of a ride enhancement to a already decently riding coach.  Would I spend the money again?  I would, but I tend to improve things until it no longer makes since to spend any more on the problems.

The coach drove a little different, so something to get used to , but overall better than before.  If any one is considering adding these I will say that they are quality units, much better quality than using the shark bits on a ball valve cheap trick which I would not recommend.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Eric Maclean

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Super Steer motion control units
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 03:28:45 AM »
That’s what I noticed…side wind and passing trucks effects were mitigated because the little devils micro-manage side-to-side air movement among the bags.  Going over a speed bump askew is another noticeable test with good results.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Eric Maclean