Author Topic: 2006 Patriot Thunder Air Leaks  (Read 2252 times)

Lee Welbanks

2006 Patriot Thunder Air Leaks
« on: May 01, 2021, 11:47:05 PM »
Getting ready to take off this year fixing air leaks in the PT, rebuilt all the solenoids for the HWH leveling system front and rear, just replaced the two Orings for each solenoid, rebuilt one of the rear air switches that was leaking, now the suspension will hold position for don't know how long has been a week so far.
So now I knew I had a leak in the service side of the brake system (pedal applied) so I made a adjustable strut to hold the brake pedal down so I could see what was leaking. First off was a brake can diaphragm on the tag axle, fixed that still leaking.
Found a amazing thing, every service line brake hose except one on the coach is leaking air, you spray the line with soap/water and you get fuzzy leaks along the hose on all but one. The front two hoses are make up using Aeroquip fittings so I got some hose and replaced both, the other six the NAPA store here in town are making up. The back six hoses are all the same and three feet long.
Monaco used this poor quality cheap fabric covered hose for all the service lines, it's the same type of hose they used for the 3/4" lines to the front four air bags which all leaking.
So as of Monday afternoon I may not have any more air leaks, key word may!
With as much air lines fittings and devices you never cure all air leaks.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: 2006 Patriot Thunder Air Leaks
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 12:01:36 AM »
   Soldier on Lee, quite the challenge to undertake my friend! Tell us how you fare. Blessings, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 12:47:18 AM »
Fred, Challenge is a under statement, more like the never ending journey. Why did Monaco choose to use that fabric covered steel braided hose when the trucking industry had and has been using rubber hose none steel braided for years and years. If I remember correctly it's a DOT rule that the service lines from the brake valve to the brake cans has to be rubber none coated or not braded.
Going to cost a couple hundred to replace all the lines but worth it to be able to know when you hit the pedal your actually going to slow down and stop.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Fred Brooks

rkevincarson

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 10:20:17 PM »
Quite a project Lee.  Would love to see some pictures of the fabric covered lines that came out and what you replaced them with.   Nice job.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 02:41:08 AM »
Well I had thought that the PT was done with the air leaks, well while we made our trip to Tx and back the beast would loose all the air over night, we've been home for awhile so I decided that today I would see if I could find the leak, leaking that much I should be able to hear it.
Fired up the shop compressor and connected it to the coach all aired up and raised up, safety struts in place, under with spray bottle could not find a bubble anywhere. Inside the coach and was checking the lines to the pressure gauge and I could hear air leaking somewhere, put my head down by the console where the maxi brake valve is and could hear leaking, lots of air leaking. Removed the console panel and as usual both swivel 3/8 x 1/4 fittings to the valve were leaking big time, Replaced them with DOT compression brass air brake fittings, no leaky now!
The coach has been sitting there aired up and the pressure gauge hasn't moved at all. Should still be up in the morning. So now I wonder where the next leak will show up, it's not if it's when and where.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Robert Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 08:45:10 AM »
Maxi Brake is a super common spot for leaks.