Author Topic: Battery corrosion prevention  (Read 1395 times)

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Battery corrosion prevention
« on: April 30, 2022, 04:00:42 PM »
   Gentlemen,
For those of us that still have lead acid batteries, I thought I would offer some help in managing corrosion issues with cables and post connections. The next time you clean your posts and cable connections, try installing anti-corrosion felt pads around the terminals under the cable connections. I have doubled up and put 2 pads under each cable. Then when finished, spray each terminal with CRC battery terminal protector. The felt pads are available in red and black and can be purchased at your local auto parts house or online. Enclosed is a picture of felt pads installed a year ago with no corrosion on the cables. The black pads are difficult to see so I put an arrow where they are on each negative battery post. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Jim Walker

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Battery corrosion prevention
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 04:36:14 PM »
I recently swapped out the six 6v golf cart batteries before leaving Yuma, AZ.  When I was done and everything was working well, I smeared di-electric grease all over and around the battery posts and up the cables about an inch or so.  Yes, the grease might get on my fingers when I top off the batteries with distilled water but I use a one-gallon sprayer to squirt the distilled water into the batteries using the wand on the sprayer - much easier and I don't have to bend over so far while under the basement door.  I have used the CRC Battery Terminal Protector from the spray can in the past and it seemed to help but not prevent corrosion.  I have not used the felt pads.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Battery corrosion prevention
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 06:32:15 PM »
    David,
I had the same results with CRC protector. It just slowed down the process. I am not sure what is in the felt pads, but it seems to work. Country Coach used to do the grease with their Les Swabb battery installation.
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6