Author Topic: Battery disconnect in storage  (Read 1458 times)

Adam Hicklin

Battery disconnect in storage
« on: May 08, 2022, 02:08:58 PM »
I need to store the coach at an outdoor storage facility for a couple months while selling our house.  It has only ever been stored at my house, plugged in.  Should I disconnect the batteries?  Use the disconnect switches?  I’m not sure the solar panel will keep up with the parasitic drain on the chassis battery and I don’t want a dead battery when need to get it out of storage.

Thanks in advance. 

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Re: Battery disconnect in storage
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 01:02:15 AM »
Adam,

I would turn off the inverter and the house batteries, but I would leave the chassis batteries on to keep the Cat engine powered so you do not loose the memory.  This is assuming you have a Cat engine.

I would also consider going by every week or so and making sure the Chassis Batteries are not dead.  You can run the generator to top them off.

I know that my chassis batteries will go dead in a little over 2 weeks if I am not plugged in.  That was before I installed a echo charger so I may get longer now if the solar is keeping up.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Battery disconnect in storage
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 03:38:23 AM »
Adam, I just completed 5 months at our house in Florida, storing the coach at an RV park while we were there. It does not have a power connection. I disconnect both the chassis and house batteries, after making sure they are on float when I do so. I check on them about every three weeks, running the generator if necessary for a couple of hours.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad