Author Topic: Replace tile flooring  (Read 2530 times)

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
Replace tile flooring
« on: May 13, 2022, 12:42:24 AM »
Well it is time to remove and replace the tile and carpets in our06 Thunder, does anyone have any good suggestions for someone in Washington or Oregon that does reasonable and good work?

Would like to modernize it now that the TV"s are done, also the burl wood inserts are starting to lift off might be better to take them all off that could be a big job i'm guessing

Much appreciated

Paul Champagne
2006 Patriot Thunder

2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Replace tile flooring
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 01:20:33 AM »
I recently glued down the burl veneer on our pocket, fridge, bathroom, and cabinet doors.  It's not a difficult job if you have the correct tools - epoxy glue, a dentist's picking tool for mixing and applying the epoxy under the burl, painter's edging tape, a roll of wax paper from the kitchen, several variable-length slats of wood and shim pieces, and several types of compression devices to compress the glued veneer until dry - like a long neck locking C-clamp, a couple of hand screw wood clamps, deep throat C clamps, etc.  The deeper the throats and necks, the better.  I purchased the epoxy on Amazon; two 3.5-ounce bottles of 30-minute set-time epoxy (glue and hardener) that can allow mixing two drops or two 1/4 teaspoon amounts together... depending upon the amount needed for the specific job.  Most of the clamps can be found at Harbor Freight.  It took me several weeks to get all the veneer glued down... on average about 15 to 30 minutes each day, then let it dry for 24 hours.  If I had more clamps, then the job would have taken fewer weeks.

I removed most of the cabinet doors to do their gluing on the kitchen countertop.  I wish there was a way to easily remove the pocket doors because they can be a PITA... especially when working on the knees down near the floor.  Several years ago I glued down the veneer with wood glue - I believe it was Contact Cement.  That stuff is messy to use and difficult to apply into the crack under the veneer.  I am hoping the epoxy will hold more years, and it's way better with which to work and apply.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 03:01:50 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 01:41:01 AM »
Thanks David sounds like alot of work but it needs to be done!
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 03:47:08 AM »
Paul,
For step by step info on repairing the veneer on your cabinets refer to Cabinet Veneer Repair article in Common Problems on the BAC website under the Technical tab.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 11:09:29 AM »
Check with RV Outfitters in Bend for the floor replacement, and perhaps help with the burl.
http://www.rvoutfitters.net/

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Paul Champagne

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 02:50:27 PM »
Paul, we replaced all of our tile and carpet with luxury vinyl tile at Dave and LJ'S in Woodland, Washington. They did a good job but we were disappointed at selecting high releif luxury vinyl as the tile surface high spots shows ware after only one year. We did most of the prep work prior to the floor installation as the ceramic tile removal is very messy.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 08:55:42 PM »
We replaced our tile flooring with wood laminate.  We were advised to use Pergo and have been very happy with it.  One recommendation by our installer was to not use something that would butt up flush, but would have a slight V at the edges.  Reason, if it butts up and is level upon installation, as you move down the road, one side might raise a little and that would leave you with an edge to scuff or catch your bare feet.  With the V, you won't have that problem.  I would try Beaver Coach Sales or RV Outfitters in Bend.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13