Author Topic: Dash Fan Problem  (Read 1248 times)

Reese Hunt

Dash Fan Problem
« on: July 12, 2022, 01:10:11 PM »
2001 Patriot Thunder Princeton

I have what appears to be a newer fan motor. When operating, it has three speeds and moves air effectively.
After awhile (scientific observation?), the fan loses power. Then it regains power.

Where is the thermal device for the dash fan located?

What is the normal run current for the fan motor?

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Dash Fan Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 03:31:39 PM »
    Reese,
  Up under the front cap on the driver's side and above the frame rails, you will find a small cluster of resister coils about 3" by 3" with wires going to it. The 3 coils are the 3 lower speeds of the dash blower motor. High speed is direct 12 volt with no resister. Warning: these coils are HOT when the blower is on any of the speeds except "high". My guess is if the unit is losing fan speed after a while, the motor internal windings may be compromised. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 11:29:22 PM »
Reese
As Fred has pointed out the blower resistor assembly is located near the driver's frame rail and may be enclosed in a steel cage
Your problem may be at the connections or plug that the blower resistor , as they have a habit of getting rusty causing over heating of the connections and melting the plastic plug .
A poor connections there could cause your motor speed variation.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Reese Hunt

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 02:21:09 PM »
Thanks,
I will climb up in there and check connections.
Do y’all remember the label designation for the thermal overload? When the fan quit the other day, I was driving and did not stop to find which thermal was open. I have no prints for the coach and am not that familiar with it yet.