Author Topic: Water Bay Water Pump Switch Wiring  (Read 1528 times)

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
Water Bay Water Pump Switch Wiring
« on: November 02, 2022, 01:06:39 PM »
'05 Monterey - The 8-pin water pump switch in the water bay works to turn the pump on and off, but the indicator light in the switch does not illuminate. Found two wires with connectors behind the bulkhead that are loose and not connected to anything. Expect that they need to be connected to the switch as well to power the indicator light, but after looking at switch diagram I am still not sure to which terminals those wires should be connected. One connector has two red wires in it and the other has a single white wire. Looking at the switch from the back, all the pump wiring is on the left side of the switch and there are no wires on the right side. Figured that the forum members could furnish the answer. Would appreciate some guidance on this matter. Thanks!
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Water Bay Water Pump Switch Wiring
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 01:20:06 PM »
use a voltmeter to identify the wires. If you get 12v between the red and white when the pump is on you have found the culprit. two red wires usually are used to illuminate two or more switches in a panel.. One red wire is a 'jumper' to the next switch. Your voltmeter will tell all
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 01:23:21 PM »
if your coach has two or more switches used to turn on the water pump, I think the indicator light gets its voltage from the pump control relay. On our coach, the relay is behind a removable panel in the water pump compartment. If so, you can trace this wire to the switch to confirm.
525 hp C13

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 02:44:18 PM »
Thanks, Bill, will track down the wires as you suggest. How do I identify which terminals to use on the back of the switch?
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 02:49:19 PM »
one way would be to look at one of your other water pump switches. Our coach has 4 water pump switches; at bathroom sinks, kitchen sink, and wet bay. One thing to know is that your water pump switch does not carry voltage to the pump; the power to the pump comes from the pump controller.
525 hp C13

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 01:41:27 AM »
   The water pump is controlled by a multiplexing latching relay. It is located near the water pump. It is used so multiple locations can access it to latch it on or off to complete the circuit that activates the water pump. If it is in the ON position it completes the ground connection that turns on the indicator lamp. Pro tip: replace all of the old incandescent indicators with the newer LED indicators and you will never change them again. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley