Author Topic: Whale/Seward Heat Exchanger No hot water  (Read 2472 times)

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
Whale/Seward Heat Exchanger No hot water
« on: June 21, 2023, 07:50:18 PM »
Hello all,
My brand new Whale/Seaward Heat Exchanger stopped producing hot water.  The hydronic system heats the water in the exchanger but no hot water.  I am thinking it may be the aquastat since that was the only thing not replaced.  Heading to Branson tomorrow and wonder if you can recommend service or parts.  I have attached a picture of the aquastat is anyone knows a part number it would be appreciated.  Also any ideas what else it could be. FYI Hurricane system was replaced with Espar several years ago.
Thanks,
Brian Sexton
2000 Beaver Contessa
Whale F600 Heat Exchanger
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B
2019 F150 following close behind

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Whale/Seward Heat Exchanger No hot water
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 09:35:06 PM »
Brian,
If your system is similar to the Hurricane unit, the heat exchanger is employed to provide heat from the engine coolant when the engine is running. When parked, the water heater is used. Does your lack of hot water occur in both cases?  Assuming that the unit is plumbed so the output of the heat exchanger  flows through the water heater before feeding the coach output(s), you should have hot water at the water heater if I understand the system correctly.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Brian Sexton

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 12:10:25 AM »
Brain
As Steve has pointed out the SeaWard hot water heater is an electric hot water heater with an internal heat exchanger to allow the water to be heated by an external heat source like the Hurricane hydronic boiler.

If you have no hot water when using either heat source from I'd be looking closely at the tempering valve it is quite common for them to get stuck and only supply cold water sometimes just adjusting it both ways can help get it back working properly sometimes taking it apart and cleaning the internals so it can slide properly helps .
If your system has RV antifreeze in it the RV antifreeze boils at a much lower point than water and creates problems with the tempering valve as the resulting steam or bubbles imbalances the valve ,if you remove the tempering valve cartridge and allow the pump to pump the RV antifreeze out of the system before reinstalling the valve and retrying your hot water.

https://www.build.ca/part/AM-1-025RP-REPLACEMENT-ASSEMBLY-STD?replaces=AM-1-025RP%2FU

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Galley/Seaward-Water-Heater-Parts-/

1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 09:02:12 PM »
Eric, that did the trick.  Thank You
Brian and Chippy Sexton