Author Topic: Tires  (Read 1707 times)

Tommy Gibson

• BAC Member
Tires
« on: June 26, 2023, 06:57:20 PM »
2007 Beaver Contessa.
Currently running 295/80/22.5 Michlin with 9,000 miles and DOT date 2/2016
Stored inside 90% of time climate controlled inviorment
Getting ready for 4,000 mile trip out west.
Will my tires work for me or should i replace my 7 year old (just like new) tires??????
What is a quality/affordable tire for my coach?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 07:26:10 PM by Tommy Gibson »
2007 Contessa 42' Bayshore IV Cat C9 400 HP (Betty Lou)

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 07:29:10 PM »
1.  Tires may be hard to come by.  Last year I wanted to consider changing out several of our coach's tires.  I managed to locate 2 Goodyear tires in the area where we spend our summers in Oregon. I purchased 1 of them - cost over $800, installed.  This was after learning that Les Schwab was back ordered to the tune of nearly 200 tires.  Les Schwab never got back to me.

2. I agree 7 1/2 years on your tires is getting close to considering them for changing out.  I believe Michelin recommends no longer than 10 years.  If your tires have not spent much time in direct sunlight and you have taken care to run them with proper pressurization, then I would think they're good for another year.

3. There are many threads and posts here on the Forum regarding tires, and these posts speak to several manufacturers' tires and prices.  Do some searches and read them.

This being said, what do your risk tolerance and pocketbook say?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 07:43:05 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Tommy Gibson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 07:41:02 PM »
Risk factor (not good)
Pocket Book (not good)
I'm getting $10,000 numbers

2007 Contessa 42' Bayshore IV Cat C9 400 HP (Betty Lou)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 09:09:13 PM »
Tommy,
IMHO whatever you do, stay away from Goodyears. They tend to cup easily and in past had a nasty habit of exploding sidewalls. (Happened to me). While Michelin makes a very good tire but you pay a premium. The Toyos  I'm running now are very good tires but the sidewalls are a bit stiff so the ride isn't quite as good as it could be. I've heard good reports on Hankook (on FMCA Tire Program) and Sumitomos among others.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Carr

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 01:02:52 AM »
I spent a couple of hours today researching tires.  My, my, how their prices have jumped!!  Here is what I found:

Walmart has super stores that have tire departments.  Ours does here in Hermiston, Oregon.  Walmart's website has Toyo tires, M144 295/80R22.5, for $552.71 each.  The superstores do not have these large tires at the store but if you order the tires online and get them to the Walmart store's tire department, then that tire department will install them (mount and dismount) for no extra charge.  Valve stems, balancing or balance beads, etc. will cost extra... less than $10 each.  Since Walmart does not use balance beads, you would have to get them to the store also.

Goodyear Tire Stores have a Hercules brand of tire.  I do not know anything about that brand of tire.  They cost $519.35 each plus about $25 each for valve stems, etc. Their Goodyear and Michelin tire cost is over $1,000 each.

Les Schwab Tire Stores have the Toyo M144s for $704.91 installed including (I think) valve stems, balancing beads, etc.

Commercial Tire Stores have Bridgestone for $754 each installed not including valve stems, balancing beads, etc.  Their Michelin tire cost is over $1,000 each.

I think I have most of this information correct.  There were many interruptions and such while collecting the information and typing this into the Forum.

2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 01:41:48 PM »
Tommy
Regardless of the manufacturer that you pick make sure to check the ( DOT ) number on the side wall for the build date of the tires.
Ties are built by the manufacturer in runs , they will build several thousand of a certain size tire each time they do a run and warehouse them unit they are all sold before scheduling another run of that particular size this is why tires go on to back order.
The problem is that non popular sizes may sit in a warehouse for several years before your dealer gets them to sell to you
I have personally seen 6 year old tires come from a warehouse to be sold as new.
This extra time in a warehouse counts as the rubber begins to age from the moment it leaves the mold.
They can even take a set standing on a tire rack this is why tire are stacked in there side on pallets for warehousing.

With these coaches it is important to keep good tires on the front axle ( Steer axle ) as a blow out at highway speeds on a steer axle can be catastrophic. Therefore depending on your risk adversity the recommendation is to run the front tires 5 to 7 years before replacement. Most of us will run the fronts for 5 year and then rotate the to the  rear duals in order to try and keep the fronts current and the rear under 10 years old.

Tires deteriorate with age and do so more quickly with inactivity just because they aren't weather cracked or tread wore doesn't mean they aren't rotten.
When a manufacturer builds a tire there are emollients in the compound that protect the rubber compound from the ozone in the air it's this ozone that attacks the rubber allowing it to dry out and rot by the time the weather checking or cracks show up the damage is already done.
It is these emollients which work there way to the surface of the tire when you drive the vehicle that create the dull frosty look on the tire.
The tire that gets regular use will maintain the protective emollient layer on the surface and will last longer this is why on RVs the recommendation from life span is done in years as apposed to miles driven and is shorter than daily driven commercial vehicles.
 There are manufacturer which build RV tires and he difference is the amount of emollients they use in the compound however they come at a premium and the extra emollients don't protect the tire from the carcass taking a set from extended sitting in one spot this effects the belts within the tire carcass and over time creates tire defects.

Most of us will agree the nicest riding tires are the Michelin but they are too expensive .
I run the Toyo tires as mentioned earlier and have had very good results.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

David Ciotti

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 12:23:33 PM »
For the few North Easters with Beavers, I just replaced my 8 year old Toyo tires with Michelins at Champion Tire in Ringoes NJ for $6700.  Nice shop, responsive customer service and Jessica gave me a $110 Michelin coupon after the installation.

$110 aint much but its better than nothing.
2002 Marquis Jasper. 40'. Cat C12

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2023, 04:29:57 AM »
Curious as to why you did not purchase another set of Toyo tires. I agree that Michelin tires are the best just never been able to afford. When I purchased my Toyo tires I was able to get tires that were only six months old even though they were made in Japan.  We have been very happy with our Toyo tires.  I believe Toyo has a factory in the USA but I do not believe they make the size our coach needs. Our Toyo tires are five years old and I paid $3,000.00 for six mounted and balanced on the coach. I have been told the price now would be 50% more.

Tom Webber
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

David Ciotti

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2023, 05:05:45 PM »
The only tires available in the northeast right now at Champion Tires are GoodYear and Michelin.  I chose Michelin, they were only $50 more per tire if I remember right.  The Toyo tires were available 2 months ago but not now.  The Michelins seem to provide a much better ride but I don't have many miles on them and I just spent a boatload of money on them and the placebo effect is strong in new Jersey!  ;-)
2002 Marquis Jasper. 40'. Cat C12