Author Topic: entry door alignment  (Read 1671 times)

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
entry door alignment
« on: August 02, 2023, 10:00:46 PM »
The entry door into my "99 marquis requires a pry tool coming in or a knee bump going out. I have determined that the whole door has dropped around 1/8".  If I lift the door up in operates normal.  The hinge looks  like a giant piano hinge. There are two gaps in the hinge (see pictures). one high and one low. It appears at one time that there may have been some kind of a spacer in those gaps.  Can someone with a similar hinge, or knowledge, tell me if there is some kind of a spacer that  goes into the wide gap? If so, that would cure my problem.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 10:06:47 PM by Rick Daniels »
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
Re: entry door alignment
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 10:25:03 PM »
Any Marquis 1996-2001 should have the same hinge
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 01:46:27 AM »
Rick,

If the door needs to move up 1/8 of an inch I would try putting a shim under the bottom of the hinge and then bend and epoxy it in place.  Just raise the door high enough it high enough to operate correctly.  Hopefully this will help some.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126
The following users thanked this post: Rick Daniels

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 03:37:41 AM »
Rick
Does the door drag on the threshold or the latch pin ?
The latch pin is supposed to float to allow it to align.
There is a door adjustment manual in the coach assist section for the TDL doors.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Rick Daniels

Roy Boles

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 11:08:15 PM »
  Hi Rick. I have the same hinge on my Marquis. I have tried a couple of fixes.
          That hinge is stainless steel, when it was new there were two nylon spacers in those two gaps in the hinge that kept it aligned and not wearing on its self. There is or should be a rolled pin in the bottom of the hinge that that keeps the hinge pin in place. First your gonna have to lift the door and measure for the spacer that you need to correct the door alignment. Then You will have to drive that rolled pin out. Then you can grab the hinge pin through the bottom open space with Vice grips and tap it down gently a little at a time until it clears the upper space. With the upper space clear you can fit a brass bushing into that space. Bushing are available at most hardware stores. The bushing should have 3/8, ID and about 1/2, inch OD about 1 inch long. I add a flat washer to to ether the top or bottom of the bushing. I have to use a grinder to get that bushing to the right height to make your correction. Now for the hard part. Lifting that door and slipping that bushing into place and tapping the hinge pin back into place. The best way to lift the door is to buy a product called (Winbag) its an inflatable tool made just for this type of work. Remember to be gentle when hitting on the hinge pin. This is a little long winded. If you have questions you can call me 805-975-5314. 
'98 Marquis Diamante
C-12/Allison 4000
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Rick Daniels

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Carl Boger