Author Topic: Xantrex RS2000 throwing F8 Fault Code  (Read 10867 times)

Craig Rollins

Xantrex RS2000 throwing F8 Fault Code
« on: September 18, 2011, 03:10:29 PM »
Our Xantrex RS2000 charger/inverter is throwing an F8 Fault Code which states that it, "has lost input neutral connection". This fault will not clear and keeps the RS2000 in inverter mode. I have checked voltages from the pedestal all the way to the AC input on the RS2000 and they appear to be fine. This is also the case under generator power.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions before I start looking for a repair service.

Edward Buker

Re: Xantrex RS2000 throwing F8 Fault Code
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
Before you start any measurements you need to find a way to shut down the inverter 120V output. You may need to disconnect by switch or by battery lead the house battery bank from the coach and verify the 120V from the inverter is now disabled. All other 120V sources will need to be off. My assumption is that you have used an ohm meter or have a friend that can help here.

Sometimes the logic in the inverters gets stuck and you could try and completely depower the inverter. You need to disconnect the 120V supply first and then disconnect the chassis battery by switch or by lifting the main lead to the chassis for 15 seconds or so. If that corrects the problem then you are in luck. I get a "stuck fault " on my Xantrex and have to clear it this way every couple of months. If that doesn't work...

There are three leads that come from the shore power that powers the coach as well as from the generator. The photo below is of the coach transfer relay. Usually you will find it mounted near the inverter in a grey box. The center lead that is white is the neutral line. It would be nearly impossible to lose the neutral feed of both the shore power and cord system as well as the generator at the same time.

You should remove external power from the coach and put one lead on the neutral line of the shore power plug, and with a wire attached to the lead, measure to the input side of the transfer relay just to verify continuity. One relay is the generator feed and one is shore power. Check continuity across the white lead on both. The shore power relay will have continuity, the generator feed relay will not. When you measure across the shore power relay you should see minimal resistance. From the transfer relay white lead lug, then measure to the neutral lead on the inverter. There is a relay also on the inverter that does power transfer. I have never been into the inverter to see it but if all the other neutral line tests indicate that the neutral line connection has continuiity then you need to see if the relay at the inverter is also passing the neutral along in the same manner.

If you have access and that relay has neutral continuity then there is a problem with the Xantrex sensing circuit that you will need to work with Xantrex on. They are not very helpful from word on the street. Good luck with this and hope it helps.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 04:22:55 PM by 910 »

John Fearnow

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:40:17 PM »
I had a xantrex prosine 2000 that randomly gave a "low buss voltage" fault that shut down all the 120v pass through circuits.  It would always reboot and clear the fault when I turned off the power switch at the unit itself and then immediately turned it back on.  But I had to use the on/off switch at the unit and not the remote.  I got tired of having to crawl into the bay to reach the switch and replaced the xantrex with a Magnum and haven't had any problems for the year since.

John Fearnow
2002 Patriot-Thunder

Craig Rollins

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 05:24:14 PM »
I apologize for the lack of followup/disposition of this thread but it got a wee bit complicated and I wanted the entire story before continuing.

This is a rather long story. The synopsis is this. The Xantrex RS2000 is no longer manufactured and if you have other Xantrex components (System Control Panel and/or Auto Gen Start) the Xantrex SW2000 is not a direct replacement for it. Don't let anyone tell you it is. If you want to hear the whole ugly story then by all means, read on.

Just a little over two weeks ago, while camped in southwestern Wyoming, our Xantrex RS2000 Charger/Inverter stopped charging the house batteries and began sending F8 fault codes to the System Control Panel. The F8 fault code says that there is an open circuit in the neutral wire on the AC input to the inverter. I got out my trusty volt meter, popped the front panel off the RS2000 and proceeded to measure all of the voltages on the AC input cable. All voltages were within spec which led me to suspect that the innards of the inverter were malfunctioning.

Now, according to my extended warranty agreement all repairs must be diagnosed and made by a licensed repair facility. Not wanting to violate my warranty I decided to let the warranty company tell me where to have it repaired. The first place they sent me in Evanston, WY, was more than willing to diagnose and make the needed repairs but they were dealing with some sort of a flood in their shop and didn't have any idea when they could get to it. However they recommended a place in Sandy, UT but couldn't remember the name of it.

I called the the warranty company back and told them of the recommendation and they sent me to one place in Sandy, UT with another as backup. (Please keep in mind that this is all along the route we were taking, so it's not like we were running all over creation.) It turns out that both these places had gone out of business sometime over the past 12 months.

We were then sent to an RV shop in Salt Lake City and finally they agree to look at it that day and make any repairs deemed necessary. Feeling confident that we were in good hands, the wife and I spent the day on Antelope Island doing what we're out here to do. Enjoy this beautiful country. We had a great day on the island and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. We dropped back by the RV shop more to pickup some overnight things than anything else, because we really did not expect them to have it fixed that day. We were right it wasn't fixed. It wasn't even diagnosed. Why? Because this "licensed repair facility" did not have a technician on staff that knew what he was looking at when it came to the Xantrex RS2000. They only had one who "thought" he could fix it and that is what our warranty company went with.

It is then decided that I should drop by Camping World in Draper, UT the next day. Wow! What a difference. After relating our plight to the Service Writer and Dave, one of their techs. Dave came right out and started running tests on the RS2000 and determined that the main circuit board had fried. At this point Pat Hunt, the store manager, got involved. A replacement inverter was located and Pat talked with my warranty company and they agreed to cover everything but the deductible over the phone.

Now, I said a replacement inverter was located, but it had to be shipped in from another store and it was already Tuesday. This meant that the inverter would arrive Thursday, at the earliest. Pat offered us a spot out back with electric & water. If we needed to dump, there was a Cabela's about 6 miles south in Lehi. It was decided that the installation would take place first thing on Friday morning. I checked Thursday and the brand new Xantrex SW2000 was in and ready to be installed the next day.

Now it seems that the RS2000 is no longer manufactured by Xantrex and supposedly the SW2000 is a direct replacement for it. At least that is what Xantrex literature and on line information would have you believe. Well it's not! My motorhome has a Xantrex System Control Panel and the Auto Gen Start module but evidently the SW2000 does not have the cat5 connector required by both of these components to make the SW2000 part of the network. This left a few techs and at least one service writer scratching their collective noggins. After a phone call to Xantrex it was learned that the SW2000 is considered to be a "base level inverter" and does not feature any means of networking with the exisiting System Control Panel or Auto Gen Start components. However, the SW3000 does have the required cat5 network connector, so for an additional $130 we now have a 3000 watt inverter instead of the original 2000 watt unit and CW has two new fans.

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 05:49:23 PM »
Craig,

Thanks for the update. I have printed your post and intend to put it near my inverter panel in the coach where I will be sure to read it if I have a problem with my inverter.  I do not know if I have the RS2000 but suspect I do and this information will make life easier when my inverter goes bad.

Paul

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 06:59:39 PM »
In my previous post to this thread I said I didn't know if I have a RS2000 and it got me thinking, so I went out to the RV and it seems I have a Trace Engineering product with a RC7GS remote panel up front.The owners manual says it is a V 1.1 RV Series Inverter/Charger and it is Model Number RV2012M, manufactured on 6/10/02. I tried to Google Trace Engineering and just got a heading page that will not lead to anything about 'Trace'. Can somebody tell me if Trace is still in business or if they have been bought by Xantrex or what?  I am not very adept at using Google and feel stupid but I am curious.  Any ideas or thoughts would be welcome.

Paul

Craig Rollins

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 07:39:59 PM »
Paul, If you google just the RV2012M model number the results show that there does seem to be a connection between Xantrex and Trace Engineering. Very interesting. ;)

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »
Craig,

Thanks for that. Perhaps Xantrex did absorb Trace along the way. In any event I have been happy with the Trace for the past 4+ years, as it has performed well.  Hope I haven't jinxed myself!  :-/

My local RV repair facility has a very knowledgeable owner who in the past has said that Xantrex is not his favorite and he likes Magnum very much.  I know that Magnum seems to be in high regard by most members of this forum that have commented on inverters in the past.  I suppose if I have a problem in the future and need to replace the Trace I will go to Magnum.

Paul

Craig Rollins

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 09:51:53 PM »
I think that if it were coming directly out of my own pocket I would probably have opted to go with a Magnum Inverter/Charger because of what I have read here and other places, but where my extended warranty company was going to eat over 75% of the repair bill I just followed their lead. Besides, according to my contract with them I shouldn't have to worry about it for at least 5 years because they cover any work done under the contract at 100% with no deductible and 5 years from now is when my contract ends.  :)