Author Topic: C-9 wiring harness  (Read 3508 times)

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
C-9 wiring harness
« on: August 03, 2023, 07:25:15 AM »
Just met a fellow Beaver{2006 Monterey Laguna] owner with a C-9 400HP has had it stored, started it and saw smoke in the mirror shut it down disconnected from chassis batteries fire quite when smoke cleared the wiring harness was shot.  He is in Idaho Falls, Id and ask for help.  I know the Cat people in Idaho Galls don't work on motorhomes. So I am asking for any thoughts. Also suggesting that he join BAC Forum.  Thanks in advance.

Rocky Healey
2008 PT C-13
45 footer
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: C-9 wiring harness
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 08:51:16 AM »
One member had positive results here:
https://www.eaglerockrvservice.com/

Disappointed that apparently Western States CAT there no longer works on motorhomes… ?
IDAHO FALLS, ID | 208-552-2287

Joel
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 08:57:40 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 11:16:27 PM »
Thanks Joel I will pass on the info.

Rocky Healey
2008 PT C-13
45 footer
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 01:30:49 AM »
Mne’s been stored for an extended period too, Rocky.  I’m thinking of finally firing it up and prep for fall travel, so am curious as to why your friend’s caught fire.  I’ve been trying to keep the engine clean of rodent gatherings (dead squirrels under the tranny area), and debris, and there’s little in the way of petroleum deposits. 

One time after a couple years’ parked, the tailpipe spewed rusty carboned flakes/chunks, likely built up over time with no exhaust to keep it from drying and sluffing off… like the inside of a barbecue.  Just glad no one was standing beside the tailpipe, it came out with some force.  I reckon I can look forward to that and some smoke at first, but would prefer no fire.  My worst issue might be the delay caused by my trying to decide which of 6 extinguishers to grab, 🤣.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 04:39:38 AM »
Joel my friend is sending me pictures so not sure I think that the friendly mice had something to do with it.  Thanks for your suggestion about Eagle but he had a very bad experience there so he will not go back, hopefully I can get other suggestions.  He said that he might be willing to have it towed, he really loves this coach.  When I get pixs I will let you know.  Thanks for your help.

Rocky Healey
2008 PT  C-13
45 footer
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 08:26:35 AM »
Okay, well, we had excellent CAT C9 and Onan maintenance service at Warner Truck in West Valley Salt Lake about 10 years ago.  Apparently they are now (since 2019) part of the Premier Group which may not service motorhome’s anymore.  They have locations all around that region, including I.Falls, and Tremonton and Salt Lake, UT, so he might inquire if any do.  If he was super fortunate they might mobile service his wiring.

https://www.premiertruck.com/idaho-falls.aspx

The other thing is when a #10 wire in a loom of a dozen wore bare, shorted across a rough-cut hole in a rail on our old Pace Arrow, and burned the bunch including melting the battery post, a towed-to shop in Redding spliced around all the involved wires.  It was pretty funky and 100 miles down the road I spent a Labor Day weekend in the Roseburg fairgrounds park on my back running my own wires.  Later in Portland I had it more professionally done, and under insurance compensation, something your friend should consider… a comprehensive coverage claim.

Just throwing the temporary self-repair notion out there, to get him on the road.  Depends on his abilities, comfort in the idea, matching wire sizes correctly, etc., and his regards for appropriate safety considerations.  Contacting his agent first may be prudent.

Also, as an FMCA member, you could check their listings to see if any member in the area has designated to proffer local service facilities recommendations.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 08:54:34 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 02:24:36 AM »
Joel,  thanks sorry for not getting back but have been out of internet range[that's Montana for you] I just talked to him and he may have a solution for his problem.  I will pass on your info just in case.  Thank You very much for your assistance.  Just shows that the this works.  Safe travels.

Rocky Healey
2008 PT C-13
45 footer
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 10:15:56 PM »
Rocky
If the engine wiring harness is involved he may be able to pickup a over lay harness or new engine harness from CAT.
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.