Author Topic: generator belt replacement  (Read 4344 times)

Michael DeFalco

generator belt replacement
« on: August 08, 2023, 06:53:20 PM »
has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the cooling belt on the onan 10 k basement generator. if so are there any tips on the best way to tackle this ???    mike
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 07:00:23 PM by Michael DeFalco »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: generator belt replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 07:53:53 PM »
I was told by a member who has since left the club that he did it in place. It is tight behind the geni but apparently there is just enough room to work. I had added issues with mine so shop pulled it.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 12:14:46 AM »
  Hi Michael,
I replaced the blower belt with 1320 hours on my 10K Onan. I extended the room and opened the compartment door. I was able to step into the space available to perform the repair. It took about 3 1/2 hours. When removing the lid bolts, you are working blind along the back edge. Skill level is moderate with some patience is suggested. The replacement belt is a Dayco 15320. Inspect the blower wheel for cracks. Soldier on! Blessings, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Michael DeFalco

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 12:12:37 PM »
oh thank you Fred for the tips, i see that the back bolts on the lid would be a challenge.i am assumeing the belt needs replacing because the gen drops out on high temp when ambient temp is above 75. gen has a tad over 1000 but i am sure its factory and has some age on it.So i am hoping i find the belt as my issue , either way because of the age it would be a good idea to replace.Not looking forward to the task but i will attempt it.i think the 3.5 hour job may be an 8 hour for me. thank you again Fred for the information and the belt info.     

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 02:57:43 PM »
  Michael,
The issue became apparent to me when the generator would shut down under a small load was applied and trigger an over-temp condition. As I started to disassemble the case, I found small pieces of the drive belt scattered around. If you own a toolbox, it is in your wheelhouse to perform the repair. Fun project!
Blessings, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 12:35:40 AM »
Michael,

I don't have a 10 K Onan, but I do have a 7.5.  When I took my lid off I put the back lid bolts back on through the nutzerts from the inside.  The bolts act like pins to keep the rear lid aligned and I put the side and front bolts in from the outside like normal. 

This way if and when I have to go back inside the generator I won't have to be such a contortionist to remove the lid. Hopefully this will help you some.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Michael DeFalco

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 01:56:29 PM »
hi carl , thats a good idea i am sure the back bolts are all done blind both in and out. and i am sure dropping some when reassembling will happen to make it so much more fun. good idea thanks .

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 02:52:24 PM »
   Michael,
I understand carl's reasoning for reversing the bolts but consider the following, the integrity of the structure is now compromised and the possibility of a harmonic buzzing sound coming from a loose edge may happen. The cooling ability of the generator is dependent on the outer casing. When I installed the back bolts, I put a small piece of masking tape on the head of the bolts to trap them inside the socket on the ratchet wrench so I wouldn't drop them behind the generator while installing them. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 01:04:48 AM »
Fred,

I will absolutely defer to your expertise on the subject over mine.  Our tops may be different, but on my top it is a snug fit just for the bolts to slide through the holes in the top.  There is not much slop at all.  Once I pull it over the reversed bolts the front cover is a tight fit as are the sides.  The front and side bolts hold everything tight. 

So far I have not had any issues in over 5 years, but that doesn't mean it can not or will not give me trouble later.
I guess others might not be as lucky as I have.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2023, 02:47:08 AM »
  Hi Carl,
I commend your ingenuity and I am glad to hear that after 5 years your repair is working successfully. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Michael DeFalco

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2023, 11:25:43 PM »
ah ok understood. well today i felt courages i began the belt replacement.  WOW what a treat!  i finally removed the top only to find out that was the easy part!! the front shroud was a bugger. that was my fun for today. but i am pleased to find my gen problem was the belt ! i am planning on returning tomorrow to complete.  thank you Fred for the information on this issue, but you forgot to tell me that not only do i need a bag full of tools, borrowing your magic wand would have been much better!
thanks for the help .   
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Dan Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2023, 01:57:30 PM »
Michael
I have to do the belt job on my 2002 marquis emerald. Could you post some pictures of getting to the belt?

Dan
2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald
Cat C-12
Nebraska

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2023, 03:55:01 PM »
  Here is a picture of the cooling system for an Onan 10K
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Michael DeFalco

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2023, 03:13:42 AM »
Fred was able to complete the belt replacement today, thanks again for the info you provided me it gave me that little bit of confidence i need to tackle that job. boy returning a couple of the casing bolts was a bugger. but its back on line thanks

Michael DeFalco

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2023, 03:28:57 AM »
hey Dan , i did not photo anything. but what i found out is doing what
Fred suggested extend the slide then climb inside. remove the top remove the right side panel which folds around the gen. that panel is part of the front and the complete side. if you have an open end wench with a box ratchet at the end you will be happy.
once that panel is removed you will find the shroud remove that then you can remove the fan wheel , then remove the mounting plate , now you will have found the belt !!  inside that compartment is tight but ,i am 6ft 5 I was able to move around a little
the job can be done just some of the bolts are a bugger to remove and replace .     good luck  oh the panel bolts are a #10 metric
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 03:48:23 AM by Michael DeFalco »