Author Topic: Ramps  (Read 822 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Ramps
« on: December 01, 2023, 03:18:58 PM »
I want to buy/build ramps to enable getting under the coach. Area ahead of engine in rear is most critical. I've got some ideas but would like to see how others have addressed this.
TIA Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Ramps
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 04:04:49 PM »
Steve
Maybe this will help

https://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,7889.msg54809.html#msg54809

The biggest Problem is to find a place to store them when traveling and of course the weight if you only use them at a home base that's great.

There are several manufacturers that have ramps for cars but most of those are too light and won't carry the weight your going to put on them

The other thing that needs to be considered is the height of the ramp as you still have to be able to fit it under the coach at normal ride height or less.
I use stacked sections of 2×10 to achieve the height I want but remember they have to be well supported on level ground or the coach weight will break them . As it is the 2x10s are only wide enough to properly center under one tire so usually set them up under the inboard duals .

Once I get my coach up on the ramps say about 6 inches I then can work under the coach( still not very comfortable) but safe enough.
Then I disconnect the rear ride height valves linkages and air up the bags to maximum ride height so I can then slip a pair of 10 ton Jack stands under the rear frame rails behind the axle to carry the coach weight after wards I air down the rear air bags settlings the coach on the stands and by using a bottle jack can lift the rear wheels off the ground to do wheel end and brake service work safely ,
If your working on replacing rear air bags you can put the rear end on jack stands as described above remove the wheels and inner fenders to gain full access this way you don't have to disturb the outer fenders creating possible paint work.

Hope this helps
Eric

If your doing air leak inspection on air bags it's best to be at ride height although I have found some harder to find air leaks in the  air bags by disconnecting the ride height linkages and airing up the bags to increase the air pressure on those bags exposing more air bag and revealing leaks that where very small at the lower air pressure ( just remember to only air up to the suspension limit check straps)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 04:40:48 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 05:05:33 PM »
Thanks Eric.
I should have done a search.  :(
Mike's approach is similar to what I had in AZ (but didn't include in the move). Guess a trip to Lowes/HD is in order. They'll stay in my Beaver barn as it is the only level area I have.
Anyone else have an alternative idea?
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 12:37:19 AM »
Steve,
I have pretty much the same setup out of wood with 3 steps that raise it 4 1/2 inches.  I can back up onto the boards and then the back of my coach can extend over the drop in my driveway and give me plenty of access under the engine area. 

I have also used 4 pieces of 2 inch square tubing with plates welded across the ends to place between the frame rails. I made them about 3/4 inch shorter than full ride height and then aired down until they touched.  I should have kept them, but several friends ended up needing something welded up and attached to a piece of 2 inch tubing to go into a receiver hitch. 

I have seriously thought about making 4 more and hinging them to the frame so they could be flipped into place whenever needed.  That way if i could crawl under it, I could flip the supports in place and not worry about being crushed  trying to fix something on the road.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Steve Huber Co-Admin