Author Topic: 98 Beaver Partriot domestic Water ISSUES...CAN NOT GET WATER PAST WATER HEATER  (Read 1131 times)

Burton Chapman

• BAC Member
I bought this coach in the spring, brought IT home to start doing maintenance. i hooked up water to it and never got anything out of bathroom ...ANY FIXTURE AT ALL, Hot or Cold, so moved on to the air bags and brakes...
 Now I am  winterizing, pulled the water manifold out thinking i could just bypass some of the systems to get RV Antifreeze at least throughout the coach.
Is there someone or somewhere I can get an actual domestic water diagram, I am thinking it has something to do with a ball valve or water solenoid somewhere.
 I have looked at the tech forum,  lots of informative stuff, but have yet to run across anything that describes the issue I am having, where only water comes out of kitchen sink both hot and cold...
 I bought a replacement water manifold but until I can hook it up and make water flow as originally designed, I do not want to install.
 Any HELP would be great.
 A bit more even if I run off my 12 Volt pump and holding tank same issue.  The Hurricane Heating system, does not work, and plan on replacing....can't tell about F600 Water heater something in my mind is blocking either feed or return from Hot water side, not that that explains cold water in the bathroom.
THANK YOU FOR ANY OR ALL ADVISE
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 05:00:48 PM by Burton Chapman »
1998 Patriot

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Burton,
An owner of your age coach will probably be able to give you more specific info but I do have a couple of observations and questions. The fact that you can get water from both the hot and cold sides of the kitchen sink faucet seems to indicate a possible fault in the water manifold. Since you pulled the original, have you tried hooking up input water to it and checking to see if any of the manifold circuits are bad? (I would also run this test on the replacement manifold before installing it). With the manifold removed have you checked for any kinked  lines ? Also if you get water from the hot side of the kitchen faucet it would seem that water is flowing through the water heater. Can you get hot water from it?
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Burton
The hot water heaters in these coaches use are capable of making the water very hot and to keep people from getting scalded they systems where set up with a tempering valve which mixes hot and cold water from the hot water heater .
It's common for the tempering valve to seize or stick after a period of storage or in activity . when this happens the tempering valve will close off the hot water from the heater and feed water directly from the cold water supply leaving you with cold water on both the hot and cold faucets.

The other thing to check is that both the faucets in the wet bay are closed if they are both open the water will flow from the cold to hot leaving the rest of the coach with Luke warm water at best.

Another thing to check is at the water heater to make sure that the system doesn't have a hot water bypass system installed . If it has a bypass with a check valve system a stuck check valve would cause a no hot water flow when the system is not in bypass .

Do you know what is wrong with the Hurricane and hot water heater they may have been disconnected or dead headed .
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Burton Chapman

• BAC Member
  Thank You two for helping !!!
I haven't put power to the water heater yet, but certainly not afraid to.
 I did loop the original manifold  and temporarily took water heater out of the loop so I could see what actually wasn't working. The VANITY faucet screen was plugged with 400 years of debris, yea lets call it debris ! At that point I was able to get RV Antifreeze using a Milwaukee Pump that pushes 35 PSI, to all faucets but not to toilet.
  At that point I hooked the water heater into the loop, discovered the cold water feed to Water Heater also feeds toilet (feeling productive now).... then hooked up outlet line to feed hot side of original manifold, once i bled the air out of that line I was able to get rv antifreeze out of each faucet (one at a time) I am thinking Milwaukee pump doesn't produce enough pressure to feed them all.
 Soooo it gets better, I could feel my fathers hand go across the back of my head, I didn't take a picture of any of this before taking it apart,,, I know there is a word for that mistake...
 So my next question is, it still has the original heat exchanger along with the water heater and Hurricane furnace. I have plans on replacing water heater, the new Hurricane is sitting here next to my desk, and then putting a new heat exchanger (darn things look like oil coolers on Super Duties)
 Can someone tell me which hose goes where from heat exchanger??? I can not find a good picture of one so I can put it back to original before I replace it all...
Again Thank You for your help, I am handy and nothing scares me ( lot's frustrate me) I think if I can get the exchanger hoses correct , then I can change the manifold , then get going on heat and water heater.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 02:59:56 PM by Burton Chapman »
1998 Patriot

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Burton,
Glad to hear you are making progress! If the heat exchanger is original it is probably the large heavy hunk of copper. I had to replace it when I had our 00 Marquis. I purchased a much smaller one from Rixen Enterprises https://rixens.com/ for about $220 in 2013. Rixens is also good about helping one out in troubleshooting the Hurricane. Be sure to check the water heater tank for leaks, especially if it is original. Rixen has them but I remember someone posting here about  a considerable less expensive source.
Steve
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 01:14:55 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Burton,
I am glad that you are making progress.  It sounds like you may need to get your lines cleaned out.  On my 98 I replaced my manifolds with copper home versions.  These have held up for over 5 years and I added the bottom 1/4 faucets as drains for the entire system both on the hot and cold side.  I also use the low point drain below the 12 volt pump.  With this system I used compressed air to blow the water out. 

My Hurricane heating system has a summer and a winter position by flipping two 1/4 turn valves to redirect the water flow.  The Water heater is a 6 gallon Seaward stainless steel version.  Together they work very well.

Hopefully this will help with your system.  These are both very simple and complicated at the same time.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Burton Chapman

• BAC Member
 So my next question is, it still has the original heat exchanger along with the water heater and Hurricane furnace
[b] Can someone tell me which hose goes where from heat exchanger??? I can not find a good picture of one so I can put it back to original before I replace it all...[/b]
Again Thank You for your help, I am handy and nothing scares me ( lot's frustrate me) I think if I can get the exchanger hoses correct , then I can change the manifold , then get going on heat and water heater.
1998 Patriot

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Burton,
The Hurricane Owners and Service manuals are in Coach Assist. The Service Manual, which probably represents your system (pg 15) shows there are 4 hoses running to/from the heat exchanger; 2 (to and from engine) and 2 water lines, 1 to expansion tank and 1 to the shut off/isolation valve. I believe the heat exchanger is unidirectional so as long as you have the engine lines (will contain antifreeze) hooked to one heat exchanger circuit and the water lines hooked to the other , you should be ok. If you are not sure which circuit is which, it may be wise to flush both with water to remove any antifreeze & debris from the exchanger before hooking it up. Hopefully a current Hurricane owner will validate my comments.
Steve
Steve

Burton Chapman

• BAC Member
Thank You, and yes I wasn't sure about second post.... I am now!
I am pretty sure I have that manual as well I am sure the only ones I cut are domestic.
1998 Patriot