Author Topic: Generator not powering Coach  (Read 883 times)

Jeremy Badeaux

• BAC Member
Generator not powering Coach
« on: December 22, 2023, 11:52:46 PM »
96 Beaver Patriot 37’ Trenton on Magnum Chassis. My generator is not supplying power to my coach while running. When I connect shore power I have power to coach. When I disconnect and run generator I have nothing. I have checked the breakers on the generator and in the coach. All seem to not be tripped. I am new to this but shouldn’t it automatically send power from generator once it is running? Could it be a bad transfer switch?

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Generator not powering Coach
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2023, 12:15:32 AM »
On our coach, the default for the transfer switch is generator; that means the generator supplies all loads and the transfer switch is off (for simplicity}. Shore power turns on the transfer switch, that's why there is a short delay when you plug into shore power. try resetting your generator breaker (off, then on)
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2023, 02:44:41 PM »
   Jeremy,
  In the 2nd storage compartment up on the ceiling you will find the "transfer relay" I think it may say "Esco" When you remove the cover you will find the wiring from the generator, the wiring from shore power cord and the wiring that goes to the circuit breaker box in the bedroom. The default position of the relay is "shore power". When you start the generator, there is a 30 second time delay and then the relay engages and disconnects shore power and connects generator power to the outgoing wiring to the circuit breaker box. If you are comfortable using a meter, you can check the a/c voltage from the 2 sources and check the voltage going to the circuit breaker box. It is not unusual for this transfer relay to fail on a coach this old. Let us know what you find. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 08:37:00 PM »
Jeremy
In the coach assist library you will find the troubleshooting and repair manual for the Esco transfer switch
It should walk you through the operation and troubleshooting step by step.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Jeremy Badeaux

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 02:41:41 AM »
I may have found the issue. I opened the box and looks like the generator wires were never connected back. It seems that the box was replaced and for some reason the wires for generator were not connected back.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks