Author Topic: Replacement for 2001 Patriot Thunder coolant surge tank  (Read 1166 times)

Dale Barham

• BAC Member
Replacement for 2001 Patriot Thunder coolant surge tank
« on: January 02, 2024, 05:36:33 PM »
Stuck in Needles, California with a leaky coolant overflow/surge tank.  Have tried repairing with JB Weld, a Napa kit and FlexSeal Tape.  Leak is getting worse so we are here until we can get a replacement. OEM is F5HT-8A080-HA, plastic type.  Would be happy with another plastic as this one lasted 22 years, but not sure of the correct part as no place seems to put all the specs on the sight.  Looks like Automann 575-1092 would fit, but one dealer told me 575-1093 - even though it doesn't look quite the same.  Have all measurements, just need a tank that will bolt on in the space we have over the C-12.  Does ANYONE know the correct aftermarket model from Automann or any other manufacturer that we could get shipped quickly?    Thank you!
Dale & Sue Barham
With Vizslas Lux & Gypsy, & Cat Tweety
2001 Beaver Patriot Thunder
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Replacement for 2001 Patriot Thunder coolant surge tank
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 05:43:19 PM »
Az RV expert (do a you tube search) just did a video on replacing tank in his 01 Patriot thunder  I think tank is a Ford truck part. Check out James video, good info
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Dale Barham

Dale Barham

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 06:16:37 PM »
Yes, we watched that video.  Same issue.  He ordered a new metal tank from Beaver Coach Sales.  We were hoping to find the right plastic part for a third the cost.  Here is the tank.
Dale & Sue Barham
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Dale Barham

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 06:18:57 PM »
And the OEM Part # (yes, Ford).
Dale & Sue Barham
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 07:08:11 PM »
This may help you, Ford part # F6HZ-BA080-B. Good luck.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 07:57:10 PM »
Frank is correct
I replaced mine last year on the road going through Baton rouge .
The part was OEM for a Ford f600 and 700
The part number was originally F5HT-8A080- HA which is embossed on the tank.
That original part number was replaced by Ford several years ago by the new F6HZ-8A080-13
The two tanks are identical and the new one is a direct bolt in no modifications needed.
But it's still not cheap
Here is a link to the 4 state truck parts which advertise one with dimensions if that will help.

https://www.4statetrucks.com/bestfit-coolant-reservoir-replaces-f5hz8a080aa-05-070209?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhc-sBhCEARIsAOVwHuQU0GjhRMau96XUSeGrxIfDPS-2RdxyQDCddLp4E5j-RRInBwGCLvUaAuQYEALw_wcB

By the way to help your new tank last longer replace your rad cap with a 7 lbs cap which will take some of the reciprocal stress off the tank.

I did mine last year as stated above and on a hard 18 mile climb in the mountains reached a very hot engine temp of 238* with out boiling so the lower pressure is adequate to avoid boiling at reasonable temperatures.

As I was near Baton Rouge when I had mine leak I called the locate Ford dealer who actually had one in stock
Here is a link to that dealer  ( they were great to deal with)

https://www.fordoemdepot.com/oem-parts/ford-tank-assembly-radiator-overflow-f6hz8a080b?origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhc-sBhCEARIsAOVwHuQeZkKNt2YFgHwNNbFfm12VdNId2Z9Qpt0D_FWbnO_cw7CmZcu4i5IaAv-KEALw_wcB

Hope this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 08:02:35 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Dale Barham

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 11:27:36 PM »
Frank, thank you for the reply on the part number.

Eric - you really hit it on the head!  I had been on the phone with 4 State Trucking out of Joplin, MO, but they couldn't verify all the dimensions.  There were two tanks that looked close, only one in stock, but wasn't willing to order if I didn't know for sure which one.  We found a small truck repair shop, ARS Truck & Equipment, in Ft. Mohave just north of Needles that was able to help us verify the part number.  Yep, they called around and in the end it was the FORD parts dealer that had the exact replacement part and number, F6HZ-8A080-B (replacement part number for F5HT-8A080-HA).  Will gladly pay the upcharge for ARS to source this for us as we will save a ton on O/N shipping as it will be here tomorrow morning with the "regular" deliveries.  Otherwise we were looking at over $200 for 4 State to send it out 2nd day air to Needles!  Also found that the 4 State part was not the correct fit anyway, perhaps Vander Haag's online had one that would work but aftermarket manufactured by Automann.   All had the same shipping problem to Needles. 

Of course, we started leaking a few hundred miles ago, tried a few patch jobs to try to get the our destination in Mesa, AZ, but by January 31, over the Tehachapi Pass and thru the Mohave desert, we knew we just needed to stay put and get a new tank. 
The long holiday weekend was not the best timing, but lucky to have friends in Needles and a big shout out to the Elks Lodge here for having some nice RV hookups for us!  The answer in the end was to go directly to Ford, but I thought they no longer manufactured a replacement so I didn't even think of doing that.

Thank you all for the quick help.  I'll also look at replacing that cap as well, once we get somewhere to have them check the coolant system!  Happy travels.
Dale & Sue Barham
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 11:50:55 PM »
   For those who have access to a welder, you can fabricate one from a used 20 or 30 pound used fire extinguisher. I replaced the handle with a sight glass, installed a filler neck from Fillerneck supply.com and copper tubing for supply and top vent bleed. Capacity is 2 gallons and I added a coolant overflow bottle. Total expense was under $125.00
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6