Author Topic: better showers  (Read 1214 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
better showers
« on: January 16, 2024, 10:47:55 PM »
For a better shower, replace shower head (likely 1.8 gpm) with 2.5 gpm showerhead. "low flow" 1.8 gpm shower heads have been the norm since 1992. for a better shower, I tried replacing the pressure reducing valve at the hose end with a 'high flow' one,  replaced the water pump with a 5.0 gpm AquaJet pump, all to no avail. Finally replaced the shower head with a 2.5 gpm unit and problem solved.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: better showers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 09:01:29 PM »
Hi Bill
On the subject of showers with most of these coaches the hot water heater is a good distance from the shower requiring the you to run water unit the water gets hot . Not a big deal while setup with full hookups but a waste of tank space when boondocking.
A couple of years ago I installed an aqua view system which consists of a three way valve and a blue mushroom shaped rubber site glass which changes colour as the water temperature increases.
The system I installed mounted through the wall of the shower and allows you to bypass water back to the fresh water tank through the mushroom shaped indicator unit you get hot water then you simply turn the valve to select the hand held shower head or the wall mount you still have full control of the temperature with the original control valve but now you don't need to run water to the grey tank waiting for hot water.
There is also a version which can be installed right at the shower head for those who don't want to cut into your shower stall.
As an added bonus this valve will also allow you to fill the water tank when hooked to city water.

https://showermiser.com/product/smwc001-showermier-in-wall-unit-chrome/

1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 10:44:17 PM »
I have been thinking about installing the Aqua View for years now. Actually sketched out some plumbing diagrams so i had it clear in my head. The beauty of the system as installed in our coaches is that the fresh water return line needed for the Aqua View already exists, at least for those coaches with the auto fresh water fill. Still thinking; on our coach, to gain access to the shower plumbing, I would have to remove the huge mirror on the bedroom wall. Hmmm....
525 hp C13

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 12:43:41 PM »
Removing the mirror would be a tough call but the aqua view might make it worth it in the end in our case the back of the shower is in the large hanging closet and been has an access panel making it easier I actually removed the shower valve and plumbing and soldered up copper making it a Nice and neat installation. Our shower had a tub spout down low supposably to let you test the water temp but I always hit my leg on it so when I replumbed the wall I replaced that tub spout with a hand shower connection which also tidied up the shower on the inside
Last January Karen and spent 14 days at Quartzite without having to dump, of course that meant navy shower and and paper plates but even at that your talking 28 showers something we couldn't have done if we had to run water waiting for the hot to get to the shower and nobody likes cold showers.

Bill did you get to the Q this year ? Karen and I opted for Florida this winter and are currently at a KOA near Bradenton.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 12:32:05 AM »
Bill,

I am not sure how your mirror is attached, but on my coach with probably a smaller mirror the screws that are in the frame can be removed and the mirror comes off exposing the access hole.  The mirror stays in the frame. There is nothing but the screws that hold the mirror in place, the back of the glass simply covers the access hole.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 01:32:43 AM »
Thanks Carl, on our coach the mirror (5'x3' at least) is retained in an 'l' bracket on the bottom and by two mirror clips on the top. I tried to find out how the clips work, and if I have it right, just backing out the screw will allow the mirror to be lifted out of the clip and lower bracket. Would have to use a pair of those suction type glass handles to maneuver the mirror to a safe place in the bedroom. Still thinking....
525 hp C13