Author Topic: Dinghy  (Read 2359 times)

Grant Hayden

• BAC Member
Dinghy
« on: January 30, 2024, 10:34:05 PM »
Looking for a new dinghy. I know the 2014 and earlier Honda CRVs are excellent. Also looking at Jeep wranglers and Gladiator. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks
Grant
2006 Monterey
C9 400hp

Dan Johnson

• BAC Member
Re: Dinghy
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 11:23:47 PM »
Go with Honda. My 2004 CR V has 305K on the clock and still going strong. I have a 2005 Jeep unlimited also.  70K new radiator,front ball joints and needing again. Read up on jeep death wobble. I can't imagine what would happen if it happened while towing.
2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald
Cat C-12
Nebraska

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 12:17:34 AM »
Grant,

Get which ever one you would most like to drive when not towing.  I currently tow a 2013 CRV that I already owned prior to getting the MH.  No complaints, it tows fine, drives fine, and gets good gas mileage. 

That being said, I personally would like to get a older but nicer Toyota extended cap 4X4 pickup to tow and to take off road at some of our stops.  Well DW really doesn't want that so I'll pass unless I find one for a bargin.
That leaves maybe a Jeep wrangler in the future.  Honda has less than 100K so will likely keep, a Jeep would give us options depending on where we were going.

In the end your money your decision.  Just trying to give some insight.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 12:36:59 AM »
If you plan on using the Jeep's off road capabilities, then it is the obvious choice, but you are giving up the comfortable ride and reliability of a Honda. I've owned a Wrangler since 98 and towed it for a number of years but then switched to an 02 Liberty to get a much improved ride (and a happy DW).  :)
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Grant Hayden

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 12:51:50 AM »
Thanks everyone. I towed a Honda Crv for about 11 years and loved it. I was talked into giving it to our granddaughter!!. So I already had a 2019 dodge ram 1500, so I have been towing it. The wife doesn’t like driving it. So now I am looking for a replacement. Been looking at the older crvs, but finding one with low mileage is difficult to find. I have heard about the death wobble of the jeeps, but I thought that was fixed. Still undecided, but if I can’t find a nice crv, will probably go with the jeep.
2006 Monterey
C9 400hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 01:08:21 AM »
Check back issues of the FMCA magazine on their website for February towables issues.  By 2024 models, the choices have become quite slim, much to my chagrin.  The Japanese and Korean makers have pretty much backed away from towable transmissions. Only Kia remains. Personally, our '97 air ride Explorer Limited has proved itself, but a 2023 Lincoln Nautilus is on our radar;  hybrid Corsairs are in contention.  We aren't into Jeeps or Ram trucks, but that's just us, and many here love towing their Jeeps.  The company remains one of those offering multiple towable models.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 01:53:05 PM »
Grant,
The "death rattle" is due to worn steering components and is more significant on the Jeep due to its sort wheelbase. It occurs mainly because owners neglect to have their front end maintained when they start to notice a tendency to wander.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 12:32:50 AM »
I agree with Steve regarding the maintenance to prevent wear.  Our Explorer can exhibit the issue, more to tire problems than steering component wear, though.  After towed trips, I've found it prudent to have a shop check its alignment.

Towing seems to affect certain cars front end, and if not aligned regularly it can result in abnormal tire wear.  Make sure your tow bar is relatively level... a straight shot from coach hitch to car bumper/frame.  If the car is high or low relative to the coach it can affect whether the coach is pulling slightly up, unweighting the toad's front end or pulling down, loading it.  Roadmaster in Vancouver agreed and used an adapter to lift the hitch point at the coach;  our Monterey has a relatively low backside, so the tow bar was angled slightly higher at the car, tending to pull down on the car's front end on the highway. 

Raising the receiver some inches compensated, leveling the tow bar, and minimizing my regular purchases of front tires.  But I still have the Explorer's alignment checked at least once a year, twice if towed much, and especially following a long RV trip.  The trick can be to find a reputable shop that uses the correct alignment numbers.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat