Author Topic: C-13 shutting down, able to run when generator is running  (Read 1229 times)

Jim Hosler

• Life is short and getting shorter every day. Live well!
  • BAC Member
    • Office of the State Fire Marshal
C-13 shutting down, able to run when generator is running
« on: February 03, 2024, 09:32:52 PM »
So, this is a fun one (sarcastic) another ghost in the machine. So, been trying to get my coach to the body shop. Starts fine, replaced the chassis batteries, upgraded the generator to have its own battery (removed right now). The 07 Beaver Patriot Thunder has a #4 hot wire from the front to the back of the coach is not enough to allow a remote start of the generator due to voltage capacity of the wire (known issue from techs).

So, I start the coach and it runs for awhile (sitting) has no issues. Start driving and after a few it then drops out sometimes sputters and restarts, or sometimes it drops out and stalls.  coach has no engine lights, the engine coms alarm comes up and goes away. Started the generator (had to use battery boost to get it to start) let it run for awhile drove the coach with it running no issues.

Messed around and troubleshot and found if the generator is running with power up front of the coach everything works great. So, my question and thought is do I need to replace the wire from the back panel to the front panel with #2 wire as I must either have a short or the wire is bad. Could this be a front solenoid issue? Also, my chassis solar fuse in R7 (rear fuse box) keeps blowing so I have no solar to my chassis batteries. Cable is about $900 for 100 feet so I have plenty of extra for additional connections if needed.  Several questions here I know but am frustrated trying to figure this ghost out.

Thanks!
JDH
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder- 45'
Four pop outs
CAT 525 C-13- Roadmaster S series chassis
Allison 4000-MH 6 speed

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: C-13 shutting down, able to run when generator is running
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 10:33:17 PM »
If engine runs when gen runs, I'd check your engine alternator first.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Jim Hosler

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 01:28:47 AM »
The engine runs in idle no issue, batteries show a charge with the Altinator gauge showing 14 plus.  It also, shows in the Akkadian that the house batteries are charging off the motor.
JDH
Four pop outs
Allison 4000-MH 6 speed

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 02:59:56 AM »
Jim
With the engine running at ldle.and gen set shut down and heater blower motor on high and headlights on to load the circuit ,use a voltmeter to check between a good ground and one side and then the other of the ignition solenoid there should be battery voltage present with a maximum volt drop of 1 volt from battery voltage .
I suspect are experiencing a volt drop issue in the main battery feed to the front run box or across the ignition solenoid internally  ( common issue ).
If you suspect the ignition solenoid is dropping out use one lead of a set of booster cables to jump across the large solenoid terminals to see if you problem goes away.

Let us know what you find.
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Jim Hosler

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 04:27:49 AM »
Will do on the update. Just got it in the shop for a panel repair and repaint. Should have it back in 3-4 weeks. I think we are going to pull the cable either way, and now will do the voltage test on the solenoid as well. I am assuming it is in the rear cabinet where the Big Boy Solenoid is and connects to the front? I have pulled the schematics from the support page.
JDH
Four pop outs
Allison 4000-MH 6 speed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 06:49:30 AM »
The solenoid is in the “front run box”, i.e. “electrical bay”, the streetside forwardmost bay where most 12 volt common chassis-related connections such as circuit breakers, relays, and terminal busses are.  Large 12v fuses are in the rear box with the “Big Boy”. 

The solenoid is obvious, bottom center of the board in the electrical bay.  As Eric notes, it is a common ignition system issue culprit on all models.  The contacts inside can carbon up or otherwise fail to pass adequate voltage through from left to right posts.  His jumper suggestion is a good one.  And/or check voltage on left post compared to right with the ignition key off and then on.

There is an electronic alternative to this continuous duty solenoid, and it eliminates such issues, but it’s considerably more expensive.  Most of us simply carry a spare solenoid;  it’s easy to change out.

Attached see my Monterey arrangement, which will be similar but not identical to yours.

Joel
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 07:00:31 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2024, 02:33:58 PM »
Jim,
I think the starter solenoid on your 2007 chassis is in the rear run box. See pages 113-114 of the 2007 Patriot wiring diagrams in Coach Assist. It's the 100A solenoid if I'm correct.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp