Author Topic: Curbside Mirror Replacement  (Read 822 times)

Jack W Hannah

• BAC Member
  • 713 248-5405
Curbside Mirror Replacement
« on: March 09, 2024, 06:47:37 PM »
I just broke off the curbside mirror on my 2002 Patriot. It’s 13 in tall and made by Ramco Engineering, however exact replacement is no longer available. There are two replacements available from Ramco Engineering; one is 13 inch tall and the other is 17 inch tall. Has anyone replaced 13 inch tall mirrors with 17 inch tall mirrors, and if so, what were the results?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Jack Hannah
2002 Patriot 40B, Monticello
Cat 3126, Magnum Series B

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Re: Curbside Mirror Replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 12:48:54 AM »
Jack,

I don't know if I replaced 13 inch mirrors with 17 inch ones, but I did replace the factory mirrors with larger Ramco Mirrors.  I bought a used set off ebay when one on mine developed a crack.  The used set was very cheap and no one else bid on it.  I did have to contour the mounting pad where it was the same curvature as the coach.  I also got 2 pieces of stainless sheet metal that I rolled to the MH's contour on the inside.  I cut a hole in the center of the sheet metal for the wires and drilled 4 holes in each for the mirror bolts.

So far it has held up for about 10,000 miles, and I like the larger mirrors and the fact they are chromed.  The fiberglass in the front cap of my Beaver is pretty thick, yours likely is also.

Hopefully this will be helpful.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126
The following users thanked this post: Jack W Hannah

Jack W Hannah

• BAC Member
  • 713 248-5405
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 10:14:00 PM »
Carl,
Thank you for your information.
My mirror broke the head off right at the arm so I do not need to replace the arm, just the head.
I would really like to replace both mirrors with the larger size but I am concerned about obstructing my view.
Diid you experience any kind of problem like that when you went with a larger mirror?
Jack Hannah

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 12:33:22 AM »
Jack,

The larger mirrors have been better in every way and give a much better view than the old ones.  The remote feature did short out and I have not fixed that yet(have some wires to replace), but once they are set then I don't need to rest them until they somehow get bumped.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126
The following users thanked this post: Jack W Hannah

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 08:04:30 AM »
Jack, I don’t think they’d use larger mirrors on our rigs if there was a visibility issue.  Looking at originals on coaches like yours online, the Remco ones like on our ‘06 Monterey appear taller, but that wouldn’t block much that you’d need to see up there… if anything it would offer you more rear view capability.   You’d get used to them quickly, and soon appreciate their advantages.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jack W Hannah

• BAC Member
  • 713 248-5405
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 11:23:59 PM »
Thanks Joel,

I did opt for the lager mirrors and looking forward to seeing the "new view".
Jack Hannah