Author Topic: Back Up Camera Problem  (Read 5682 times)

Dick Simonis

Back Up Camera Problem
« on: September 24, 2011, 12:58:48 AM »
This morning, when we pulled out of the campground, I looked up and my backup camera was all funny shades of green.  I could barely make out the Jeep tagging along behind, but aside from that it was all green.  After a stop further down the road, I restarted the engine and all was well.  Is this a sign of impending failure or what????  There have been occasions when a solid vertical white line would show, change to a different color then go away completely.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:48:35 AM by 14 »

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
Re: Back Up Camera Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 01:32:49 AM »
We have had the vertical line and after some testing contributed it to a reflection off the tow.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 05:14:55 PM »
Yeh, at first I also thought about reflection but I'm not so sure about that as the line didn't move when we changed direction.  It's always just left of center.

I guess no one else has had a problem with the screen going "green"

Dick

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 11:55:31 PM »
If it is a Weldex camera, it is where the wires enter the camera. As temps rise and fall, I have to push/pull the wires gently at where they enter the camera, while my wife watches the monitor. It is poor workmanship on the camera solder joints, and Weldex won't stand up for it. I'm just waiting for mine to give up completely, and then replace. Marty
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:50:22 AM by 14 »

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:07:23 AM »
Mine is a Flex View, or something like that.

What are you going to get as a replacement?  I assume you have the flip down screen???  Hopefully your can use the same camera and wiring.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:51:20 AM by 14 »

JimCasazze

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »
I had to deal with this problem (the monitor) a while ago.  What I found is that Flexview is now owned by Jensen.  See http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/products/camera-systems/monitors.html for a list of their current offerings.  My monitor had constant lines and the entire picture faded in and out, so I replaced the drop down display with the newer AOM713 listed on Jensen's site.  I found one brand new on ebay for a little over $100.  Unfortunately, the wiring harness on the new unit comes out the bottom instead of the top like the old unit.  I had to open the case (no big deal) and cut the plastic housing so I could run the cables out the top, which I then siliconed in place.

As for the camera, that is a different story.  I am in the process of replacing that as we speak.  From what I understand, my original camera was basically an off the shelf unit with some SW to reverse the image.  Beaver Coach sales does sell replacements, but hold on to your seat when they give you the price.  They actually referred my to  Motion Analysis who sells them at a slightly reduced price - but still over $400.00.  I am 99% sure the camera was actually made by a company called videology.   They do have replacement units model 20D739S-1 which you can google for price.  Expect less than $200, without the lens - which should be transplantable from the old camera to the new if you want to go that route.  You can buy new lenses with auto-iris, etc, but that will add $150 or so to the cost.  The only issue I see with this camera is that it does not have the reversing SW built in.  For me that shouldn't matter as my new display supposedly has a reversing function built in.

In the meantime I took the old camera apart and cleaned all the contacts.  I will see if that makes any difference, but if not - I'll be ordering one of the 20D739S-1 units in the next week or so.

J