Author Topic: 2001 Beaver Patriot Concord - engine bay fire, need hydraulic hose schematic  (Read 187 times)

Timothy Wells

• BAC Member
Well, I was hoping that this wouldn't be my first ever post in the forum, but it is.  My coach caught fire on May 12th heading back from a weekend trip on I-70 in Indianapolis.  The slideout decided to start going out while going around a tight system interchange ramp from I-465NB to I-70WB on the east side of Indy.  My co-pilot indicated that the slide was moving out on it's own, so I pulled over, shut off the engine and tried to retract the slide using the electrical switch.  This must have energized the hydraulic leveling system pump, which I believe also provides hydraulic pressure to the slide actuator and sprayed the hydraulic fluid (Automatic Transmission Fluid) onto the engine and turbo thus igniting it.  My son noticed smoke coming from under the bed, so I grabbed the fire extinguisher and my wife and I lifted the bed up....bad idea.  The flames instantly shot up with the addition of new air to the engine bay and we were consumed with flames.  The bed was quickly dropped and neither of us was burned, miraculously.  We called 911 and started evacuating from the coach.  I tried to access the location of the fire, but I think that once the ATF burned off there wasn't much left to burn.  Some wire jacketing and misc stuff was still burning, so IFD showed up (a big thanks to them) and extinguished the fire completely.  We were flat towing our 5-sp Subaru Forester, so we moved as much stuff as possible to our new life raft and waited for the tow truck to arrive. 

We made it home to West Lafayette a bit later than expected, but everyone was safe and the coach was towed safely to a yard in Indy.  Later, in working with the insurance company I discovered that we would have to cover the cost of repairing the initial cause of the fire...which brings me to this question.  Does anyone have a schematic of the hydraulic hose routing?  I'm working with very experienced and knowledgeable folks trying to replace the hydraulic hose that was the cause of the fire, but we cannot find the end of the hose and where it connects to the manifold (of which I assume there has to be one to control the slideout actuator).  The basement of the coach is extremely well finished and carpeted, so they don't want to start doing exploratory surgery with a sawzall, and they have even tried to drop the fresh water tank, but it wouldn't drop down and come out of the coach, as there are flanges that prevent it from defending from between the frame channels.  I have done a lot of research on the forum and read many of the posts about various issues.  I also found the SMC Leveling System manual, which provides excellent information on the electrical side of the levelling system.  However, I cannot find any technical information on how the slideout ties into the levelling system hydraulically.  If anyone has replace hydraulic hoses on a similar coach with the Magnum Chassis I would greatly appreciate any information you have.

Sincerely,  Tim W.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Ours is a 2004 Beaver Marquis, manufactured in 2003, which has two hydraulically moved living room slides and one electric-motor moved bedroom slide.  Are you sure your bedroom slide is hydraulically moved?  On our coach, the hydraulic pump/motor for hydraulic leveling and slide moving is located under the entry door behind the step, and the only other hydraulic pump is located on the engine and supplies hydraulic pressure for power steering.

I do not remember hearing that Beaver used hydraulics on its bedroom slides... but it certainly could have in the earlier years of slides.

2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Tim,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. As David noted, I'm also not aware of hydraulics controlling the rear slides. Was it a rear or front slide that came out on the curve. Assuming the HWH and Power Gear systems are the same, the slides are held in place by hydraulic pressure. Leaky hoses can cause them to move unexpectedly. It happened on our coach about a year ago where the salon slide moved out about 6 inches while driving. So, be sure to replace all your hoses for slides and generator. On the Monaco Roadmaster chassis used in our coach, the shop was able to install new lines through by connecting them to the old lines and pulling the old line through. I've heard/seen on the Forum that on the older Magnum chassis units the hoses run through the frame (as they apparently do on the Roadmaster) but that they may be or are tied in place. The solution is to leave the old hoses in place and run new ones as best you can. Each hose should run from the hydraulic cylinder to the hydraulic control unit that contains the pump and solenoids.
Steve
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 02:57:46 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Timothy Wells

• BAC Member
Ours is a 2004 Beaver Marquis, manufactured in 2003, which has two hydraulically moved living room slides and one electric-motor moved bedroom slide.  Are you sure your bedroom slide is hydraulically moved?  On our coach, the hydraulic pump/motor for hydraulic leveling and slide moving is located under the entry door behind the step, and the only other hydraulic pump is located on the engine and supplies hydraulic pressure for power steering.

I do not remember hearing that Beaver used hydraulics on its bedroom slides... but it certainly could have in the earlier years of slides.

David,  Thanks for your response.  I'm 100% sure that the slide is hydraulically moved.  The tow truck driver had to loosen one of the hydraulic hoses to be able to retract the slide.  BTW, there is only one slide on this coach. It goes from just behind the driver's seat to the end of the galley.  I think it's about 17 feet long. He did this with a large adjustable wrench on a hex-nut attached to the slide carriage.  As far as I know, the hydraulic system for the SMC coaches is different from the later Monaco builds.  Definitely there is no motor/pump under the entry door steps (I wish it was there, lol). The pump is in the back passenger side of the engine bay, about as far back as possible.  The issue I'm having is trying to figure out the hydraulic hose routing, and a schematic sure would help.  From the SMC Leveling System document on the BAC Coach Assist section there is a manifold that controls the leveling system.  Somehow this ties into the slide, as there is a circuit from the slide switch to the hydraulic pump relay in Fugure 5 (page 6).  So, I believe that means that the pump will energize when the slideout switch is activated and there must be another manifold in the front of the coach that controls the direct of hydraulic fluid flow to either extend or retract the slide. Anyways, thanks for your post.  Tim

Timothy Wells

• BAC Member
Tim,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. As David noted, I'm also not aware of hydraulics controlling the rear slides. Was it a rear or front slide that came out on the curve. Assuming the HWH and Power Gear systems are the same, the slides are held in place by hydraulic pressure. Leaky hoses can cause them to move unexpectedly. It happened on our coach about a year ago where the salon slide moved out about 6 inches while driving. So, be sure to replace all your hoses for slides and generator. On the Monaco Roadmaster chassis used in our coach, the shop was able to install new lines through by connecting them to the old lines and pulling the old line through. I've heard/seen on the Forum that on the older Magnum chassis units the hoses run through the frame (as they apparently do on the Roadmaster) but that they may be or are tied in place. The solution is to leave the old hoses in place and run new ones as best you can. Each hose should run from the hydraulic cylinder to the hydraulic control unit that contains the pump and solenoids.
Steve

Steve, Thanks for your kind words.  My coach only has one slide for the galley and jackknife sofa. It's on the driver's side and is approx. 17' long from behind the driver's seat to the end of the galley.  It appears that you are correct about the Magnum Chassis hose routing.  They were very well made, but not exactly constructed for replacement hose routing in the future.  My coach repair shop has definitely recommended replacing all of the lines that they can get to and I have authorized them to do so.  I will keep the forum posted and provide a write up of the outcome when I get my coach back.

Tim