Author Topic: Eternabond Tape  (Read 7785 times)

barbhalsell

Eternabond Tape
« on: October 17, 2011, 03:56:33 PM »
Has anyone used the Eternabond tape with good results?
We are looking at using the web seal Eternabond that you paint over with an elastomeric roof coat. The cap seams on our Beaver are pretty rough looking and we have a few other patch areas.
Also the paint and clearcoat is shot between the white roof and gutter line, has anyone painted a white roof coat including that area and how bad would it look?

LEAH DRAPER

Re: Eternabond Tape
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 08:32:09 PM »
Personal opinion only, but I don't think painting the area between the white of the roof and the drip rails would look very good with the elastomeric stuff.
Just an opinion tho...would look better if re-painted the original color.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:57:04 PM »
We had Eternabond put along the end cap seams on both front and back.  The tape is only on the white roof and does not extend onto the painted portion at the very edge.  Therefore, it is virtually invisible when you look up at the roof.  The result seems to be as desired--we no longer have leaks at the cap seams.  I figured it was better not to have leaks than to worry about how the tape looked, only what it looked like when I was standing next to the coach.

barbhalsell

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 11:31:46 PM »
I went up on the ladder today and used gel gloss on the painted portion down to the gutter. I think it shined up nice and that part will be fine without bringing down the roof coat. We will still use the tape and roof coat on the original white and maybe extend over an inch on either side of the cap seams. But that still leaves the 6 inches of cap seam that extends down the side to gutter that is visible. The PO had gobbed silicone all over the seams and apparently had leak issues. So what to permanantly fix that part with and still have it look good?

Keith Oliver

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 03:28:10 AM »
IMHO, silicone doesn't belong on a boat or a motorhome.  It doesn't stick very well under the best conditions, and it takes a lot of labour to get rid of it when you have a leak and need to seal it properly.  Any good marine caulking, like Sikaflex 291 or 3M 4200 will do a far better job initially, and will last for years without discoloration.
I was reminded of this when cleaning the top of my Girard awning cover, where I found some PO had dumped a couple of tubes of clear silicone at the joint between awning and coach.  As I was pulling it off, I was getting wet from all the water under the silicone.  It was a dry day, so the top of it was bone dry.  There wasn't any water getting in, so the silicone was unnecessary in that location, just a PITA.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 03:13:39 PM »
What is " just a PITA."?

How about some understandable english please.
Thanks.

Ken Buck

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 04:50:23 PM »
Since we are all hoping that we get new and younger members to take our places as we age, I would submit that the abbreviations will get more prevalent as time goes by. Especially the repair topics are using them more and more, because that's what the owners manuals and dealerships use. ECM's, CAC's and LED's are common.

Being able to understand the other messages is important too. I would much rather see someone write something that maybe I have to go look up the meaning for, than for them to not say something that might help me. And sometimes it even gives me a laugh. I found the site http://rats2u.com/calendar_ef/calendar_email1.htm very useful for decoding those shorthand items I couldn't figure out on my own.

Ken

JimCasazze

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 09:24:58 PM »
Leah:  LMAO, you are too funny.

Here is a guide for the internet challenged.... .(Just joking)

http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/?lookup=A

Robert Mathis

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »
Back on topic, I've used eternabond on my camper trailer and it works pretty well for a large area. To seal a seam, I'd use either 3M 4200 or 5200 depending on how flexible a seam I needed. One thing about 5200, if you apply it correctly, it will absolutely not leak and will hold even if whatever fasteners are supposed to hold the panels together fail. Leah, don't feel bad, it takes me a while to decifer some of the texting abbreviations, too. LOL (Laugh out Loud).

barbhalsell

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 02:05:03 PM »
Ah, so now I know what PITA means. I think I will use that often!
Anyway, so got the  coatable eternabond ordered from here, http://www.roofingsupplyusa.com/store/m/38-Eternabond.html?pi=3
Awesome price.
Got the elastomeric paint on the the way too. Hopefully we will get this done on Jack's next free weekend.
Still don't have anyones opinion on the last few inches of the cap seams. Clean out the silicone and replace with what? We want this roof to stay maintenance free for as long as  the coach keeps rolling. I think we will have a good chance.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:06:04 PM by 6645 »