Author Topic: coolant for Hurricane  (Read 28586 times)

barbhalsell

coolant for Hurricane
« on: October 08, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
Where does one buy the special hydronic coolant for the Hurricane?

Dick Simonis

Re: coolant for Hurricane
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:31:45 PM »
Quote from: barbhalsell
Where does one buy the special hydronic coolant for the Hurricane?

I just used regular 50/50 mix antifreeze from the auto parts place.  Same stuff I use in the engine.  Perhaps I'm wrong....thought that is what the folks at Beaver Coach said.

Dick

barbhalsell

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 07:34:21 PM »
It is called inhibited propylene glycol. a food grade antifreeze.

barbhalsell

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 07:47:46 PM »
Is it just regular RV antifreeze?

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 09:12:44 PM »
Quote from: Dick Simonis

I just used regular 50/50 mix antifreeze from the auto parts place.  Same stuff I use in the engine.  Perhaps I'm wrong....thought that is what the folks at Beaver Coach said.

Dick

I thought this was a no-no. Doesn't the Hurricane system have a heat exchanger with potable hot water on one side?  Normally you're not  supposed to use automotive anti-freeze in any single-wall heat exchanger when drinking water is involved.  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 09:31:11 PM by 6332 »

barbhalsell

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 09:34:56 PM »
OK, got the RV antifreeze in, the Hurricane is running, heating the hot water tank nicely and supplying hot water. Now where is the heat for the coach?
 Page 48 of the Beav owners manual says there should be 2 control valves next to the control box. These would be both  turned either to a winter or summer position for either both heating or just the hot water tank. WE HAVE NO VALVES?????????????

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 10:08:13 PM »
Is it just regular RV antifreeze?

The more expensive propylene glycol concentrates like Dowfrost have buffers (aluminum hydroxide is one) that prevent the glycol from turning acidic. The buffers in different propylene glycols are rated from about 280°F to 325°F. I don’t know if all RV antifreezes have the necessary buffers for protection, since they are not normally subjected to elevated temperatures. If they aren’t advertised as inhibited, you should check with the manufacturer to ensure buffers have been added.

barbhalsell

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 11:37:28 PM »
So where do you buy Dowfrost?

JimDyer

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 11:50:12 PM »
Have you turned the thermostats to 'heat" yet?

Joel Weiss

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »
So where do you buy Dowfrost?

http://www.dowfrostglycol.com/

barbhalsell

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 12:24:09 AM »
Yes we have turned the thermostat to heat. Waited 30 minutes and was still blowing cool air. Seems to be a valve or diverter that we have not found yet. ANYONE with this system on a 2000 Pat please tell me where this might be.

barbhalsell

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 12:42:32 AM »
Joel, have you actually had to add any antifreeze to your system? How much do you think it holds? Should we mix with water? Obviously this is another one of those clueless without the original owner manual.
Barb.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 02:01:56 AM »
I suggest you call the folks at ITR on Monday and get some help.   I've been providing advice based on the few things I know.  Maybe someone else can provide more complete answers.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 02:19:40 AM »
When I replaced the HW heater on mine I had to pretty much drain the system and, if I rember, it took a tad ove 1 gallon to get it back up and running.  Also, if memory serves, the capacity is 6 qts.

Is you'rs low on coolant??

The manual called for 50/50 mix as I recall.  Anyway, that's what I used and I guess I should be looking for some P.G. to replace the E.G.  Works the same but Joels comment about a leak in the heat exchanger and E.G getting into the Potable water system is correct....not a good thing.

barbhalsell

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 02:27:50 AM »
We are figuring that is the case, it would not stay running.  It had obviously been worked on, loose hoses and water damage in the bay. We added RV antifreeze as the Beaver book said we should. It now runs, produces lots of hot water, but no heat in the coach. The Beaver manual says there are valves to use for heat/hot water or just hot water. There are no valves in the bay with the Hurricane. What coolant did you put in? and does your set up have valves somewhere?