Author Topic: Wandering Fuel Gauge  (Read 6180 times)

Jim Wasson

Wandering Fuel Gauge
« on: June 03, 2009, 03:10:09 PM »
We have a 2004 Santiam with a wandering fuel gauge. At times we start out with 1/2 tank drive for a few hours, stop, and upon restarting the gauge reads past full.  After an hour or so of traveling the gauge repositions to something less than 1/2. The coach is in for service now, if I have the tech replace the sender am I throwing good money after bad or is there really a solid fix for this issue

Gerald Farris

Re: Wandering Fuel Gauge
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 04:04:34 PM »
You should be able to pinpoint the problem by unpluging the tank unit and replacing it in the circuit with a rheostat. The rheostat can imitate a good tank unit by changing the resistance in the circuit in the same manner that the tank unit does as the fuel level changes. You will need to know the resistance  values that the system uses as the tank goes from full to empty.

You have to keep in mind that the dash gauge has a time delay built-in to prevent excess gauge fluctuations.  

Gerald

Jim Wasson

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 04:19:06 PM »
Gerald,
Thanks for the information. Any idea where I would find the resistance values?
Jim

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 05:24:39 PM »
You may be able to get the information from Beaver Coach Service in Bend at  800-843-2967. Those guys are a wealth of information (esp. Ken Carpenter).  

Gerald

Jim Wasson

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 05:27:08 PM »
Gerald;
Thanks again for your help.
Best regards,
Jim