Author Topic: Michelin Tire Question  (Read 5535 times)

Bill Brown

Michelin Tire Question
« on: October 21, 2011, 06:10:05 PM »
Hello all.  
I am in the process of working up a deal for new Michelins for our 06 Monterey.  The tire dealer is recommending the Michelin X Coach tire over the XZA2.  My question is has anyone out there used the X Coach tire and if so thoughts, etc regarding this tire?  The weight carrying capacity appears to be almost identical to the XZA and there is an all season X Coach design that may be more suited to winter driving.
Thanks for any comments.
Bill Brown
aksafariman@yahoo.com
06  Beaver Monterey, Laguna IV

Joel Weiss

Re: Michelin Tire Question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »
We purchased XZE2+ and are very pleased with them.  I assume you are planning on buying them through the Monaco International discount program?  If not it is worth your while to explore it.  You can search for several threads on this forum about it.

Bill Brown

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 04:56:57 AM »
Joel,
Yes, I am planning on using the FMCA Advantage Plan for our tire purchase, and went to one of the recommended suppliers, and they are the folks recommending the X Coach tire.  The tire is designed primarily for Buses, plus is less expensive then the XZE2.  The supplier indicates they have sold several sets of the X Coach tire to RV owners, who are very satisfied, thus my quiery regarding someone who may have them on thier coach.
Bill
06 Beaver Monterey, Laguna IV

JimDyer

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 12:42:31 PM »
The Michelin 295/80R22.5 X® Coach XZ LRJ looks to be a good tire from the specs, lots of load carrying capacity, suitable for 8.25" rims, but at 13.3" the minimum dual spacing is too high for my Marquis. Also, the maximum speed is 75 mph, which is the same as the XZA2 Energy.

The other issue is the XZA2 Energy is designed to be resistant to curb scraping incidents while this one is not. All of these may be issues, or they may not.

YMMV

Jim

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 01:12:19 PM »
Quote from: ] the XZA2 Energy is designed to be resistant to curb scraping incidents while this one is not.
[/quote

I try to avoid curbs by staying away from cities!   There weren't many curbs this summer in Yellowstone!   ;D

Bill Brown

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 04:21:45 PM »
Thanks for the replys.  I too try to stay away from cities and curbs.  Fortunately there are very few curbs in Denali or in the Yukon, although there are a few big rocks now and again.
Bill
06 Beaver Monterey, Laguna IV

Edie and Marty Hochberg

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 05:09:58 PM »
I replaced the original Goodyears with same sized Michelin X Coach (295/80 R22.5) on all eight wheels while I was at BCS in Bend last spring.  I did not have any problems with the Goodyears, I replaced them due to their age.  I have not felt any difference in ride quality between the two sets of tires.  FYI, I had the front tires spin balanced.

Regards,
Martin

2005 Beaver Patriot, 525 hp Cat C-13, 42 feet