Author Topic: High Voltage on Aladdin  (Read 4994 times)

Dave Parks

High Voltage on Aladdin
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:45:56 PM »
Have high voltage on Aladdin varying about 131 - 132 on leg 1 and 2 respectively, and shutting off occasionally.  Electric pedestal shows 122- 123 with a voltmeter.  Differential between 2 legs shows 253 - 257 volts.  Surge protector shows same volts as voltmeter.  High voltage on Aladdin is the same with or without the surge protector in place.  Have moved to 3 different sites in campground with the same problem.  Campground has added new sites, and changes have been made to the electric system - unknown right now.  Have been to this CG last 4 years no problem.  Just high voltage now, since new sites have been added.  Differential between 2 legs shows 253 - 257 volts.  Have never had this problem before.  Generator shows 122 and 123 volts on each leg - no problem with it running.  Coach is a 2006 Beaver Monterey.  Can anyone provide some help?  Thx.

Dave
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:13:08 AM by 14 »

JimDyer

Re: High Voltage on Aladdin
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 12:52:20 AM »
Sounds like a ground issue, since leg to leg shows about 128v per leg  but leg to ground shows 122. Where is the extra 6 v coming from?

Dave Parks

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 04:00:38 AM »
Why does the extra voltage not show on the voltmeter at the pedestal?  Or on the diagnostic that the surge protector does?  

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 04:58:01 AM »
Dave,
There is an error somewhere in your readings. You say that the post reads 122V to 123V with a volt meter and the voltage between the to hot terminals is 253V to 257V. If the power post is only at 122V to 123V, the voltage between the to hot terminals on the post can not be higher than 244V to 246V, so it sounds like you have high voltage at the post, and your meter has an accuracy problem.

Gerald  

Dave Parks

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »
Gerald -  
It is really strange.  3 different voltmeters have been used to test the electric pedestals that show 122V to 123V - and the hot terminals differential at 253V to 257V.  Hot terminal readings have slightly varied at the different campground sites while the pedestal readings have remained almost identical.
Dave  

JimDyer

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 12:11:08 PM »
Dave,

Check the neutral to ground voltage. Looks like stray voltage on the neutral to me.

Dave Parks

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:39:30 PM »
Have a partial solution.  In checking my Aladdin readings against the Electric Pedestal with a voltmeter, my Aladdin readings are about 4 volts high (I assumed they were accurate to +/- 1 volt - wrong.  Neutral to ground voltage was 0.  The local power company came and checked Electric Pedestal and found that their volts were 128V.  My 4 volts high and the incoming 128V pushed the Aladdin at 132+V into a shutdown.  The power company tech called the local sub station and had the the volts turned down by 6 volts to 122V.  I was amazed as I watched the volts go down over a 20 minute period.  Hot leg differential came down from as high as 257 to 243.  

The sensors for volts are in the transfer switch shore side are no longer made according to Monaco Tech support.  He said to call Silverleaf in OR as they have some Aladdin parts (not verified by me).  The Tech Support said the sensors can be disconnected in the transfer switch.

I'll have to call back and get specifics.  Has anyone on the forum done this and can provide details how to do this?

D