Author Topic: Backing into site - Tips?  (Read 19975 times)

JimCasazze

Backing into site - Tips?
« on: November 08, 2011, 05:26:49 PM »
For some reason, I am having a bit of difficulty learning to back our '99 PT into many of the SW Florida CG lots.  The steets seem way too narrow to allow me to manuever our rig easily into place and I'm hoping someone might have some tips on setup of the turn, etc.  Most CG's here do not have pull thru's and tend to be a large mix of Mobile homes and RV's.

I'm a licensed pilot, licensed maritime captain and can back a trailer into just about any space imaginable, but this Beaver is getting the best of me.  I've tried to understand the turning point at the rear axle as well as the swing of the front end which has helped a bit, but I think there must be a trick to this as there are handleing other vehicles, etc.

I seem to be able to get out of the lots reasonably well so I have to think I could get in with the same amount of planning.  Usually, I can just barely (with a lookout) slip out without hitting any driveway marker posts (I hate those things).

So if anyone has a few tips on how to set up for the backup - please share.

Thanks
Jim

Keith Cooper

LEAH DRAPER

Re: Backing into site - Tips?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 07:02:46 PM »
If possible, always back in from the left side (so you can see where your wheels are, from your rear view mirror.  If necessary adjust your mirror downward so you can see your rear wheel.   Get as close to left side of the road as possible (this gives you more room for front end swing).  Always good to visualize after getting coach to left side of street, to get out of coach and visualize where your rear wheels must be to begin your turn, and then begin the hard turn of the wheel and follow it in.   It may be necessary sometimes to ("jockie it around) by pulling forward and continuing the process again.

Always helps to have a spotter, but  if you don't, there is nothing wrong about getting out and looking if in doubt..beats a crumpled rear end!

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »
I went to the aforementioned link and this is where I found the best information, other one didn't work for me (the link that is).

http://www.betterrving.com/article/rv_tips/parking_your_motorhome_alone

JimCasazze

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 08:22:04 PM »
I will be trying some of these methods next time out.  Leah, your comment about pulling as close to the left makes sense.  I've been trying that with the reasoning that the rear tires will not get any closer to any pole (tree, maker, etc) once they start to pivot.  It's the distance the coach will move backwards as it starts to pivot that I have to get a handle on.  

The turning radius on the coach isn't specatular to say the least, so I wind up moving back quite as I'm attempting to rotate into position.  I guess there isn't much I can do about that, so I'll have to learn to deal with it and practice with the frisbees

J

Joel Weiss

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:32:07 PM »
When my wife was learning to drive our rig, Dennis Hill of RV Driving School used small orange cones (you can buy them at the Dollar Store) to mark the path her rear wheel was supposed to follow.  It helps a lot with visualizing the problem for any specific campground site.  I carry a set of 6 of these to use when needed.  Having learned to parallel park my truck as part of my CDL training, I find that sometimes the lack of a clear sideline "marker" makes it difficult to find the correct line for turning and backing; the cones provide that line and make a big difference.

barbhalsell

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 11:55:51 PM »
Leah, awesome video on parking! I think even I could back in the Beav with a spotter, I might even be able to figure out how to back in alone with the frisbee method!
BTW, here again is another opportunity to post helpful videos in a central spot on the forum. This and the tire blowout video have been very helpful. Just sayin......
Barb

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 01:34:38 AM »
The turning radius on the 99 Pat/Thunder is TERRIBLE! I used to have one and used to say that it "takes a city block to turn the damn thing around".

That was a big factor in my decision to go with the shorter wheel base of the Contessa 38'.  Also Beaver greatly improved the turning ability of the 2008 models.  But I just didn't want to chance it again.

Don't ever fuel at anything other than a truck stop or you will wish you hadn't.  (from personal experience)

JimCasazze

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 02:48:55 PM »
I didn't realize this was such a problem with PT's (and I assume regular Pat's as well).  The awful turning radius is the single biggest complaint I have with our PT.  

I thought all coaches pretty much had bad turning radius issues because of the length involved, but it sounds like some coaches are significantly worse than others.  Guess I will have to learn to work around this shortcoming as best as possible or find nice large sites to pull into....

By the way, do the later 2000+ Pat's also have this problem or is it unique to the Magnum - B chassis?

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 03:01:43 PM »
I have a - 06 PT 42 with a tag I have been very please with the turning on this rig, I think the later models are different then the early PT.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 03:02:27 PM by 1651 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Dick Simonis

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 03:05:13 PM »
I kinda wish I hadn't read this thread.  Didn't realize I had a problem till now but I that does explain the new pin stripes.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 03:52:54 PM »
Rather than a qualitative "its bad", can anyone give the angle that the front wheels cut to for the tightest turn?  For example, Country Coach advertises its Independent front suspension "cuts to 55 degrees".  I test drove one and saw that it is significantly tighter than my Beaver.  When I parked at the curb in a cul de sac, I found that I couldn't turn sharp enough to avoid a car parked tight to the curb on the far side of the cul.  With the CC, there would have been no problem.  As this affects backing into a tight site, I need to take the wide turn into account when lining up.  Where there isn't a lot of street width, it takes a couple of jockeying turns (at least) to get the rear wheels into the site without ending up on the wrong side.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 03:55:06 PM »
The turning radius problem in all Beavers did not improve until the 2003 model with design changes by Monaco. My 2000 Marquis will make a U-turn in two football fields.

Gerald

JimCasazze

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 04:10:44 PM »
Gerald, does that include the end zones?   U-turns -  What are they?  More like 12 point turns when I attempt them.

Don't suppose there is anything that can be adjusted to allow the wheels to turn tighter?

Edward Buker

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 06:38:31 PM »
Watch out for the goal posts if you are talking lengthwise...

Later Ed