Author Topic: Displaying Front Registration plates  (Read 5627 times)

Dennis n Heather Crawford

Displaying Front Registration plates
« on: November 12, 2011, 03:08:19 AM »
Having moved from Arizona to Oregon I now find that 2 registration plates are required. On my 2003 Monterey there is no accomodation for a front plate and I am loathed to use my drill. Can I display the plate in the front windscreen or does anyone have ideas for screwless attachement?
Dennis

Ken Buck

Re: Displaying Front Registration plates
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 03:37:35 AM »
I'd say check the law carefully, which should be able to be done online. In WA state the law requires a front plate UNLESS there is no provision made for one by the mfg. My 07 Contessa has no place to put a plate so it stays in the step box. You'll see the same thing on Corvettes, DeLoreans, and some other cars. There's just no place for it to bolt.

Ken

Ken Buck

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 04:19:54 AM »
So I went out and checked OR statutes and don't find a loophole in their requirement for a front plate.

In WA state law it allows: " (b) The Washington state patrol may grant exceptions to this subsection if the body construction of the vehicle makes compliance with this section impossible."

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.16A.200

Ken

Butch Martin

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:27:24 AM »
I just put the plate in the front window and never had a problem on my 97 Pat

The Monty has a provision for a plate

I am in Oregon

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:16:23 AM »
I just put mine in the front window also.

Larry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 10:26:03 AM »
Ditto.  The edge of the plate nicely fits in the seam between dash sections, so it stands upright, and is easily visible from outside, which satisfies the intent of the law.  By putting it on the extreme driver's side, it really doesn't block any view, and its edge can actually be used as a marker to align road stripes for centering the coach in the lane.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Oliver

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 05:15:11 PM »
I went to an Autoparts store and bought a nice looking license plate frame, drilled 4 1/4" holes and put it securely on the front "bumper".  It looks like it was designed to be there, and complies with the law of BC, that has no weasel clause.

Phil Sales

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 10:30:33 PM »
I had to drill two holes in my front bumper. NY law has no provision for not mounting the front plate. The cops won't tell you why either. It is because the front plate is the target for Laser speed monitors. This is also the reason for the reflective coating. :D