Author Topic: Leaking side, slide-out swipe seal  (Read 6132 times)

Robert Adkins

Leaking side, slide-out swipe seal
« on: November 13, 2011, 12:11:56 AM »
I  have an '04 Monterey with 3 slides, on the bedroom slide, the front swipe seal is not contacting the side wall, with the slide extended. When the slide is in 4 to 6 inches, the seal contacts the side wall. When extended, the wind and rain water enters through seal. Question, is there a way the get the seal to regain the original contact position, maybe a heat gun?  Just hoping I don't have to replace the seal?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 05:03:16 AM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

Re: Leaking side, slide-out swipe seal
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 04:11:05 AM »
Robert,
I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the leak should stop. The bad news is that you are going to have to replace the seal first. A seven year old slide seal is virtually never salvageable if it is leaking.

Gerald

JimDyer

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 01:34:11 PM »
Robert, are your seals the kind with a central skirtboard (4" neoprene strip) supported by p-seals on the inside and outside?  If so, the key question is what shape is the skirtboard in? If it's really in good shape, replacing the outer p-seal may stiffen it enough to make it work. But if the sun has gotten to it, you're way better off to replace the skirtboard, too.

One point, on my coach the top and bottom seals went first, so I'd advocate checking them before you order any material.

Jim

Robert Adkins

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 06:17:13 PM »
Thanks Gerald and Jim,

The seals appear to be two pieces, one flexible, soft rubber member attached to the coach and a stiffer member adhered to the flexible member brushing against the slide.  It sounds like I need to plan on replacing the seals rather than repair.  Do either know how this is done?  do the seals slip on to the coach edge? do you need an adhesive? and the existing seals appear to be glued at the corners? Thanks for you help.  Bob

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 07:02:46 PM »
Robert,
The replacement seal is sold by the linear foot, and is not precut to fit your coach. The replacement seal will come with the adhesive strip attached. You will have to cut the replacement seal to fit your coach, and bevel the ends at 45 degrees to join at the corners.

You will need an adhesive or sealer for the corners, and some people use an adhesive accelerator or primer for the sides to make the preinstalled adhesive on the new seal stick better. The biggest job will be removing the old seal and adhesive to install the new one. You need to have a clean surface to install the new seal to.

Gerald

JimDyer

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 01:49:39 AM »
Robert,

There was just a thread on this board about replacing slide seals in which I gave a blow by blow description of how I replaced my top and bottom seals, including adhesives used, descriptions of rubber seals, etc. Others posted names and phone numbers to get the replacement seals. Have a look at that and then PM me if you have any questions.

Where are you? We are in  Central florida right now.